GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GMC Owner
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OUt of curiosity, i was wondering if anyone has any small tips to improce gas mileage for my truck and what kind of gas mileage does everyone else get. I have an 03 2500 HD 6.0 with a K&N cold air intake and a custom computer tune w/ 4:10 gears. I know with a truck like this im not going to get great gas mileage but its worth a shot. Post your gas mileage and if you know of anything else that can be done let me know.

·
GMC Owner
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i wanted a diesel but i got a hell of a deal on my truck

·
hmmmm, i be damned
1,944 Posts
i filled up today and got 402 miles on a tank and put 25 gallons in it, thats 16 mpg. i've slowed down to 65 on the interstate, i could have got more miles, but saturday and sunday i was doin 70 on the interstate. slow down and you'll get good mileage

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Before I lifted mine I had 4.10 gears with my 6.0 plus it was street tuned, outlaw intake, exhaust and I was getting on average 14mpg, all city driving. Oh and that was with 285's, it didn't change on bit when I put 35's on. Now its about 10 with all the garbadge on it now

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
What black hd said, keep it under 2000rpm's and you'll get much better. Drive like your Grandma would basically

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Maybe a cam and electric fans. pacebria has a cam he hasn't put in his yet. You might pm him if you want something like that.

·
BigNBlack6.0
352 Posts
I get 11.8 consistently in my CCSB 6.0 2500HD.... 90 percent of my driving is on the highway and i usually run between 70 and 75.....

The next tank, ill try to take your advise and keep her below 2K and see how much it helps. Cruise control is my friend... haha

as far as other tweaks, I would definitely be interested in seeing if the e-fans help out at all... seeing as i drive down the highway a ton, it may/may not make a difference for me...

The best mod i can think of off the top of my head is the RICER MOD.. lol or at least something a little smaller than the HD

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
The MPG of a 6.0L in a 2500HD is what drove me to man up and get the DMax. I figured if I was gonna be spending extra on the truck, be it gas money, or otherwise, it might as well go into the engine. I haven't seen anything special w/the DMax so far (in 2 days), seems close to the 15mpg I got with my 1/2-ton. Resetting the DIC as I coasted to an offramp showed 70mpg! Hehe.

I wanna open the intake/exhaust and see what that does for economy.

-bZj

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
I think the electric fans would help but I don't want to risk them not working in such a hot clomate. Longtubes would probably help as well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts