GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pioneer AVH-P3200DVD DoubleDin head unit in my NNBS 07 Silverado. At night, I usualy turn my interior lights/cluster brightness down. But my head unit is freaking bright. I remember when I installed it, there was an orange wire called "illumination" that was left unhooked. How can I wire this head unit so that it dims with the dimmer switch?

·
I am "Epic Win"...
93 Posts
Theres your answer man, gotta hook that orange one up.

Usually any car audio shop, even best buy will have access to the wiring diagram thats a little more detailed and will point out which wire ur supposed to hook that up to. You should be able to find which part of the harness is appropriate if you call and ask. Its not always as simple as orange to orange, so do ur homework.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok man, I'll look up the diagram on Mitchell today at VoTech. so just splice the orange wire into the dimmer wire on the factory harness?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked it up today and it shows the yellow wire in the factory harness being the factory dimmer control. I pulled my head unit out of my dash, and i forgot the orance illumination wire was already hooked up. Traced that wire and sure enough, it runs through my aftermarket harness the the pin that is attached to the factory yellow wire. But my head unit doesn't dim or brighten with my factory lights? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I looked it up today and it shows the yellow wire in the factory harness being the factory dimmer control. I pulled my head unit out of my dash, and i forgot the orance illumination wire was already hooked up. Traced that wire and sure enough, it runs through my aftermarket harness the the pin that is attached to the factory yellow wire. But my head unit doesn't dim or brighten with my factory lights? Any ideas?
Yeah, use the right wire :ninja: Illumination doesn't dim it, DIMMER dims it. That's one one wire is orange, and the other is orange with a white stripe, they do different things with different triggers.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, use the right wire :ninja: Illumination doesn't dim it, DIMMER dims it. That's one one wire is orange, and the other is orange with a white stripe, they do different things with different triggers.
I didn't see a "dimmer" wire? Only orange w/ white stripe "illumination"...

·
HighTek *******
806 Posts
Ive tried and i cant get it to work right. I have the 4200 DVD. Ill see if i can dig something up on how to get that to function cuz it bugs me sooo bad.

·
HighTek *******
806 Posts
i read that you can tap power from the brown and white wire from the HVAC controls to the headunit to dim it with the headlights. Im going to try that as soon as i get a chance. Maybe tomorrow if im luckt.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i read that you can tap power from the brown and white wire from the HVAC controls to the headunit to dim it with the headlights. Im going to try that as soon as i get a chance. Maybe tomorrow if im luckt.
But what wire from the head unit would I tap into the brown wire? And would this work on a NNBS?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If i remember right i thought the dimmer wire was blue on mine. I know for sure it was blue on my alpine HU but im not 100% that the truck wire was also blue

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I didn't see a "dimmer" wire? Only orange w/ white stripe "illumination"...
You may not have one, not all vehicles do. Some HU's don't have it either.

If i remember right i thought the dimmer wire was blue on mine. I know for sure it was blue on my alpine HU but im not 100% that the truck wire was also blue
Blue is power antenna, and it's that way on every aftermarket HU, standard wiring.

·
Registered
212 Posts
On my pioneer avix-x920 bt it has two settings, night and day. I hooked up the illumination wire to the corisponding illumination wire in the PAC harnass I bought and it didn't work. From what I remember, the "dimmer" wire is just like a resistance or voltage change, the pioneer needs an onn off 12v signal to work. So I found a wire on my headlight switch that is only hot when the headlights are on so now the unit goes into "night" mode when ever the headlights are on.

The wire on my nbs headlight switch that I tapped into was brown with a white stripe.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
On my pioneer avix-x920 bt it has two settings, night and day. I hooked up the illumination wire to the corisponding illumination wire in the PAC harnass I bought and it didn't work. From what I remember, the "dimmer" wire is just like a resistance or voltage change, the pioneer needs an onn off 12v signal to work. So I found a wire on my headlight switch that is only hot when the headlights are on so now the unit goes into "night" mode when ever the headlights are on.

The wire on my nbs headlight switch that I tapped into was brown with a white stripe.

Hope that helps.
Yup. Dimmer is ground when off and 12v trigger. Illumination is backwards of that.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hope that helps.
With my "Illumination" wire hooked to the corresponding wire on my PAC OS-4, my head unit does dim and brighten with my headlights, but only so much. I'd like it darker at night.

·
HighTek *******
806 Posts
does your stereo dim when you turn your ambers on?

If not, you take the brown w/white stripe wire from your HVAC and tap that power into the orange/white wire that is in your HU harness.

If you want the dimming feature that you control with the roll switch to dim your lights further at night you will have to get a little more creative. I have heard that that never gets implemented into double dins / screens.

EDIT : (I'm a noob, i didn't realize this thread got another page. So i didn't read it!)

Ive read that nearly all aftermarket headunits have nothing that responds to the dimmer switch. I think you are out of luck for that.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
With my "Illumination" wire hooked to the corresponding wire on my PAC OS-4, my head unit does dim and brighten with my headlights, but only so much. I'd like it darker at night.
chek the display setting
my JVC has one brightness setting for day (30 levels) and another setting for night (3 levels)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts