GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Kenwood head unit using a Metra install bracket. At first it looked OK but the more I look at it, the less I like it. There is too much black ABS showing around the Kenwood. Does anyone know of something that will hide the excess ABS plastic or another way to mount the Kenwood? Have tried searching the forum for insight on this but came up empty. :smokin:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
boogeyboy used the denali bezel, buit his dash kit into it, and it sits flush all around. Its the only time i've ever seen it done like that though. He recovered the bezel in leather to match the dash.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yeah i would like to see some pics of that install. another option is something like an alpine cda-7997 or 7998. its got this thing called fantom face xl that installs in a 1 din slot, but the face comes of the unit and it will cover the .5 din that is left. to get this to work perfectly though, you would need an adapter kit that will let you isntall the unit at the bottom of the 1.5 din slot, instead of centered in the middle. anyone know of something like that that exists?

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
nope never seen a kit like that... i've seen them with the din at the top and centered. The phantom face is kindof a cool idea though to cover the slot, if it really bugs youthat badly. I'd just get a monitor lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Two issues with the monitors:

1. The flip outs hit the shifter arm when extending.
2. There are no in dash units (that I know of) that fit in the 1.5 din slot without modification.
3 (i lied). Price:whip:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
well....

1. Mine doesn't hit my shifter, you just need to bend your shifter. To do this, leave it in park, and push. I'm dead serious :read:

2. Its only showing like a 1/4 of a din

3. You can get a screen for pretty cheap now. All of my friends have had the Pioneer 6400CD, and you can get it for about 500-600 bucks shipped. And then there are the clarion screens, they got a bucnh of cheap ones too

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
Badassilverado said:
Where's the best/cheapest place to buy screens online 2k1?
:word:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
ebay:read: theseb.com is also pretty good when they have their specials. If you were local i could get you some really good deals too. I usually can get better deals than what you can get on ebay. I don't know how it would be with shipping though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts