GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm finally putting in a Pioneer CD player in my 05 sierra. The guy at Best Buy said something to me about how all the warning/alert chimes, and sounds are run through the head unit and without this $120 harness I would lose the warning sounds. He said this happens on the 03 and up GMC's. Is this true? I figured that there has to be a way to get around all that with using the regular harness they sell for $15. Can anyone help?

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Details on your truck would help.

Bose? Onstar?

If you don't have Bose or onstar, or have onstar only and don't care to lose, use the $15 harness. You'll lose the chimes, BUT you can buy another $25 chime module to fix that, plus the chime module gives you switched power.

Without the chime module, you'll have to go to the fusebox for 12V switched.

If you have Bose, you'll have to use the $125 harness, and that's not much more than cost. You'll also have to use a chime module.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Did my 05' Crew and installed the pac accessory for chimes etc, and and steering controls accessory.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Hey guys I'm finally putting in a Pioneer CD player in my 05 sierra. The guy at Best Buy said something to me about how all the warning/alert chimes, and sounds are run through the head unit and without this $120 harness I would lose the warning sounds. He said this happens on the 03 and up GMC's. Is this true? I figured that there has to be a way to get around all that with using the regular harness they sell for $15. Can anyone help?
If you dont use that your going to lose the retained acc power(RAP) and the chime. I have 2 of those Im selling as well as some install kits and the antenna adaptors

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My truck doesn't have bose or onstar. One of the techs at Best Buy said he would use the $15 harness and charge me $24 to wire it up to my fuse box so that I could retain the chimes. I guess I'll do that instead of buying the accessory mentioned above for the chimes.
Thanks guys.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
That's a little better, but what's the total on the install gonna be? $24 plus the standard labor charge? It takes less than 5 minutes, and .50 in parts.

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a little better, but what's the total on the install gonna be? $24 plus the standard labor charge? It takes less than 5 minutes, and .50 in parts.
Just $24 for the guy to wire the cheaper harness into my truck. I'm gonna take him the truck with the dash appart and stereo out so he can just wire it and I'll finish the rest up at home.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
wiring to retain the chimes? The chimes go threw the factory radio, how the hell is he going to do that? Ive heard theres a way to keep RAP, but you need a module for chimes

·
haz 12"s!
4,533 Posts
WTF? Why do they run through the HU?

I was going to put a HU in my rig, but what are these parts yall are talking about?

·
Registered
72 Posts
YEah i have an 03 sierra also. I was told the same thing. Luckily I was working at best buy at the time so I got it for about cost which was rough 45 bucks. Do a search online, you can find it pretty cheap. To be honest tho, the damn chime is so annoying. I swear its like 10 times louder.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
I hate the chime too, but it gave my head unit the RAP back. I actually put some foam over mine and covered that in electrical tape. Its muted a little bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts