GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Late Night Insomniac
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, well since i found out that my engine dosent have air injection but has the EGR setting on it, i had to cancel the order of the Gibson headers. Now some may ask, well just get some Gibson headers that have the EGR setting on it? Well simply put, Gibson dosent make a header with the EGR setting for the 5.7lit just the 4.3lit :pissed: Well anyways, right now, the engine has a pair of Flowtechs on there, and i kinda want to upgrade to a different set of headers, but if i cant find some, ill just keep these. My question is, what are some brand name headers that have the EGR setting on them and with no air injection?

How are the Doug Thorley headers? I just looked up on their website and they have them with the EGR setting for my motor. What else is out there to consider? Any help and suggestions and welcome and appreciated, thanks.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
the thorley headers are really nice. lots of lowend torque in my opinion. i had them on my 95 5.7. i liked them alot and they were made exellent.

·
Late Night Insomniac
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I'd skip shorty headers for sure, I had a set on my F150 then went to Hooker LTs... WAY more power down low.

Thorleys I hear kickass for the ol' 350s.

·
Registered
85 Posts
HitmanX is right,they do kick ass.He is the one who talked me into my Thorleys and man I am glad he did.I love them.Very nice fit and great quality.I had my truck dynoed after I installed them and it made my hp and tq curves much flatter and gave me an additional 15rwtq and 10rwhp over the shorties,plus it is really flat for a 350.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
There ya have it. LTs scavenge (sp?) better due to the length of the primary tubes and how the collectors work...they pull the air out of the cylinders better some how.

Unless you got a steal on shorty headers, I'd only run them for a bit until I could swing LTs.

LTs make more power from idle to about 4000rpm...after that shorty headers and LTs make pretty much the same from 4000-shift point.

·
Late Night Insomniac
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
What Hitman X said.

·
Cap'n
561 Posts
Hmmm..........I was considering Edelbrock TES shorties....but the more I hear it....I think I may be leaning towards Thorley LT's....
Anyone know where I can find some, and some prices, for a 98 2dr Tahoe 4x4?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
one of my teachers had a set of TES headers on his 89 gmc. he noticed a decent power gain, but remember TES are a mid length header, not a true shorty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts