GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a set of bassani midlengths for my truck and when i got them i noticed the cats on 06's were moved further up in the y pipe, they are about 4 inches from the manifold flanges, they arent parallel with the ground like the older y pipes, so they wouldn't work, but i found a friend with an 05 y with the cats mounted down lower, horizontally, so i traded him. so i called bassani and they said that they have never seen this problem with the cats being mounted higher in the y pipe and that they are sure that their headers are smog legal on 06 models, and if i used the 05 y pipe it would be fine, so i took that and went on with the install. well 3 weeks ago i tore into the truck and found another problem. the passenger side header would not fit, the header flange wasn't even flat on the head and the #6 primary tube was on the frame, i had to push it down just to get the bolt holes to line up, but of course we didn't find this out till we had the drivers side header torqued down...anyway after going round and round with them about why it wont fit, and sending them numerous pictures, they said send them back for a full refund, i finally got the ups info from them Thursday and had them sent off. i would have had my money back already but bassani is closed on fridays for some damned reason. i've left the truck down because i was wanting to put headers on it and i was looking into getting a set of thorleys tri y's (the 310y's) but even though they have a carb number stamped on them and they reuse the stock (05 and older) y with cats and all they technically aren't smog legal for my truck (i called and asked thorley directly). i thought about getting them and doing it anyway and trying to sneak it through and see if they will pass it but when i go to smog it, if it doesn't pass the stock stuff will be hacked up to fit the thorleys and it will cost a ton of money to get it put back to stock for smog. so i was thinking about getting a set of pacesetters and their ory but having a set of cats installed in it so i can keep the stock stuff for smog time all together in one piece, but basically the only thing smog legal i have to work with at this point is shorty's so i would just rather put the manifolds back on and spend the money elsewhere.
sorry for the essay it has been a disgust filled couple of weeks... anyway if anyone has any suggestions...

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Look at some of those Dynatech supermaxx headers or whatever they are called. They come with cats in the Y.
Or I believe American Racing has a sweet header set-up too that you can get an optional y-pipe with cats.

I'm currently running the 310Y-c's and like them, but I also have no cats on my Y-pipe, no smog test in the Mitten.

Sounds pretty funky about the Bassani ordeal.
I haven't heard of the difference on the '06 y-pipe/cat configuration either...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this thread and the links in it show all about it
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158558
i know the dynatechs have cats but no carb number,same with arh's, same with sw's,they all have a catted y but no carb number, it just sucks that i am basically stuck. if i want to be carb legal then i have 2 choices 1:put my manifolds back on or, 2:waste money on shorty's.

im seriously thinking of saying screw it and buying a set of pacesetters and ory and having a set of cats installed in the ory, at least if its not gonna be smog legal it will be cheaper.

what kind of trouble can you get in if you get caught with a set of pacesetters and ory with cats welded into it, or any other non carb approved header/y combo for that matter?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Why not scoop up a used 99-05 Y pipe for yourself? I seriously doubt the testers will know it's not proper for the truck.

ONLY reason I can see why the cats moved is for quicker light off.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... i did get my hands on an 05 y pipe, and was thinking about ordering the thorleys, but the only thing that concerns me is if i get a smog guy who knows his crap, he will know that the 06's y pipes changed and if he runs the carb #on the headers he will find out they are smog legal for 99-01 only. and then i wont have the stock y to put back on. if the guys see the carb number and are cool with it, and they don't see anything wrong with the cats then i would be golden, but that's a whole lot of ifs...

and anyone know if you can be given a fine, or citation, or impounded, for a non carb legal exhaust system?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
... i did get my hands on an 05 y pipe, and was thinking about ordering the thorleys, but the only thing that concerns me is if i get a smog guy who knows his crap, he will know that the 06's y pipes changed and if he runs the carb #on the headers he will find out they are smog legal for 99-01 only. and then i wont have the stock y to put back on. if the guys see the carb number and are cool with it, and they don't see anything wrong with the cats then i would be golden, but that's a whole lot of ifs...

and anyone know if you can be given a fine, or citation, or impounded, for a non carb legal exhaust system?

Tell them you bought it like that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol that might work but i need more of a sure thing. too bad my truck isnt an 01

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
lol that might work but i need more of a sure thing. too bad my truck isnt an 01

Hell of course. :) Plus my truck is an '01 so they're legal for it anyway.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok time for an update

i shipped the headers back to bassani, and they looked at them today. come to find out somehow i got a bunk header, it doesnt fit their jig the #6 primary that was hitting my frame sticks out a good 3/4 inch further than it is supposed to. kurt from bassani said they have a raw steel header that is night and day from the one they sent me, and he offered to send it to me so i can test fit it. the thing is once i test fit it, if it fits i have to send it back to them so they can coat it and then wait another week to get it back, and if it doesnt fit then this is delayed just that much longer. since the 06 y pipe is different i questioned him how it was that any header other than a shorty would be smog legal since i am having to go to an 05 y pipe to make the bassani's work that is basically relocating the cats, and he told me that a stock y pipe is a stock y pipe, the stock cats will pass the inspection and the bassani headers are for sure legal to 06. kurt at bassani is a really cool guy and has worked with me through this whole thing and i asked him about the thorleys i was looking at as my only other option, i felt kinda bad for asking him about another brand but he was more than willing to help any way he could. i told him about them having a carb eo# right on them but their pdf file says they are smog legal from 99-01 only, he said that he has dealt with alot of smog shops and eo#'s and the carb# covers the truck drive train wise or until the body style changes and if you retain the stock cats with thorleys flanges like they are supposed to be used, and they have a carb # on them then they will pass. he still offered to refund me the money but was very insistent on me trying the one he had out in hopes that it would work for me. so what do i do now? do i try out the bassani header? or do i just say screw it and get my money back for a set of thorley's? the thorleys seem like they would make more torque down low seeing as they have longer primary's and are a tri y, both headers are 1 5/8's primarys. do the thorleys have that much of an advantage over the bassanis?

the bassani's
bassanimids.jpg

the thorley's
Thetruck052.jpg

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Your choice. Obviously.
Seems like the guy over at Bassani is more than happy to bend over backwards to try to satisfy you... which can be a rare thing these days... but like you said, even if he is helpful and it doesn't work out for some odd reason, you're out a bunch of time and hassle.
But again, if the properly jigged Bassani's don't even work, the 310-Y's might not either.

And either way you have to go with an '05 y-pipe for your case.

Can't really say how much of an "advantage" the Thorley's may have as they are the only headers I've run on this truck. I have no first-hand experience with the Bassani products. Logical to assume the 310-Y's may give you a bit more tq based on specs, but whether that is noticeable by the seat of your pants or not, who knows.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts