GMC Truck Forum banner

header suggestions please

2446 66
i bought a set of bassani midlengths for my truck and when i got them i noticed the cats on 06's were moved further up in the y pipe, they are about 4 inches from the manifold flanges, they arent parallel with the ground like the older y pipes, so they wouldn't work, but i found a friend with an 05 y with the cats mounted down lower, horizontally, so i traded him. so i called bassani and they said that they have never seen this problem with the cats being mounted higher in the y pipe and that they are sure that their headers are smog legal on 06 models, and if i used the 05 y pipe it would be fine, so i took that and went on with the install. well 3 weeks ago i tore into the truck and found another problem. the passenger side header would not fit, the header flange wasn't even flat on the head and the #6 primary tube was on the frame, i had to push it down just to get the bolt holes to line up, but of course we didn't find this out till we had the drivers side header torqued down...anyway after going round and round with them about why it wont fit, and sending them numerous pictures, they said send them back for a full refund, i finally got the ups info from them Thursday and had them sent off. i would have had my money back already but bassani is closed on fridays for some damned reason. i've left the truck down because i was wanting to put headers on it and i was looking into getting a set of thorleys tri y's (the 310y's) but even though they have a carb number stamped on them and they reuse the stock (05 and older) y with cats and all they technically aren't smog legal for my truck (i called and asked thorley directly). i thought about getting them and doing it anyway and trying to sneak it through and see if they will pass it but when i go to smog it, if it doesn't pass the stock stuff will be hacked up to fit the thorleys and it will cost a ton of money to get it put back to stock for smog. so i was thinking about getting a set of pacesetters and their ory but having a set of cats installed in it so i can keep the stock stuff for smog time all together in one piece, but basically the only thing smog legal i have to work with at this point is shorty's so i would just rather put the manifolds back on and spend the money elsewhere.
sorry for the essay it has been a disgust filled couple of weeks... anyway if anyone has any suggestions...
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Speed Holes
5,633 Posts
Look at some of those Dynatech supermaxx headers or whatever they are called. They come with cats in the Y.
Or I believe American Racing has a sweet header set-up too that you can get an optional y-pipe with cats.

I'm currently running the 310Y-c's and like them, but I also have no cats on my Y-pipe, no smog test in the Mitten.

Sounds pretty funky about the Bassani ordeal.
I haven't heard of the difference on the '06 y-pipe/cat configuration either...

· Speed Holes
5,633 Posts
Your choice. Obviously.
Seems like the guy over at Bassani is more than happy to bend over backwards to try to satisfy you... which can be a rare thing these days... but like you said, even if he is helpful and it doesn't work out for some odd reason, you're out a bunch of time and hassle.
But again, if the properly jigged Bassani's don't even work, the 310-Y's might not either.

And either way you have to go with an '05 y-pipe for your case.

Can't really say how much of an "advantage" the Thorley's may have as they are the only headers I've run on this truck. I have no first-hand experience with the Bassani products. Logical to assume the 310-Y's may give you a bit more tq based on specs, but whether that is noticeable by the seat of your pants or not, who knows.

· Speed Holes
5,633 Posts
well i called thorley and they said that the 310-y's were not smog legal for my truck, so to me that means when i go to have it smogged, there will be a problem. so i called bassani back and told him to ship me out the other header they have that was built with a little better q.c.. kurt was on it and said i will have it by tomorrow for a test fit, anyway i already spent the money and i wanted the bassani's from the getgo so im not too bummed out about getting the thorleys, im just hoping they the new header fits, and i can send them back for ceramic coating. he said that the header i got was laughable, when they tried to put it in the jig the collector was way out of whack and the primary tubes werent cut or bent right, they have no idea how it could have possibly even been welded up.

oh and about the trans cooler, yes the truck came with a factory trans cooler on it, but i upgraded to a trucool 40k:D

i didnt want to add any more rubber hose than the factory had so i picked up a length of pre-flared 3/8's tubing from autozone, cut it and bent a 90* bend for the drivers side and an offset bend for the passenger side, and cut the factory lines, i butted them up and used some stainless nut and ferule tubing couplers to connect them up. it came out pretty sweet.

nice work, I like it. Kind of wish I would have gone larger with my cooler too, like that 40k.

Good luck with that Bassani header too, be sure to post up results.

· Speed Holes
5,633 Posts
I run a 5x8 w/14" case. Here's a quick clip and I hear you on the sound quality. This is shot with my point and shoot camera.

I thought maybe you had one of those 6" case magnaflows when you mentioned above you had the smallest...

That sounds pretty good, mellow, could get away as a sleeper. Much tamer than how mine sounds, or possibly it was just the point and shoot mic... ?
Are you running the OE y-pipe with the cats on your set-up with the Bassani's? That's what I would assume since you're in cali, but just want to ask.
That might be a big reason yours is so much quieter than mine.

Do you have Kings on your truck lowered?? Not much stroke left on that shaft!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.