GMC Truck Forum banner

header suggestions please

2446 66
i bought a set of bassani midlengths for my truck and when i got them i noticed the cats on 06's were moved further up in the y pipe, they are about 4 inches from the manifold flanges, they arent parallel with the ground like the older y pipes, so they wouldn't work, but i found a friend with an 05 y with the cats mounted down lower, horizontally, so i traded him. so i called bassani and they said that they have never seen this problem with the cats being mounted higher in the y pipe and that they are sure that their headers are smog legal on 06 models, and if i used the 05 y pipe it would be fine, so i took that and went on with the install. well 3 weeks ago i tore into the truck and found another problem. the passenger side header would not fit, the header flange wasn't even flat on the head and the #6 primary tube was on the frame, i had to push it down just to get the bolt holes to line up, but of course we didn't find this out till we had the drivers side header torqued down...anyway after going round and round with them about why it wont fit, and sending them numerous pictures, they said send them back for a full refund, i finally got the ups info from them Thursday and had them sent off. i would have had my money back already but bassani is closed on fridays for some damned reason. i've left the truck down because i was wanting to put headers on it and i was looking into getting a set of thorleys tri y's (the 310y's) but even though they have a carb number stamped on them and they reuse the stock (05 and older) y with cats and all they technically aren't smog legal for my truck (i called and asked thorley directly). i thought about getting them and doing it anyway and trying to sneak it through and see if they will pass it but when i go to smog it, if it doesn't pass the stock stuff will be hacked up to fit the thorleys and it will cost a ton of money to get it put back to stock for smog. so i was thinking about getting a set of pacesetters and their ory but having a set of cats installed in it so i can keep the stock stuff for smog time all together in one piece, but basically the only thing smog legal i have to work with at this point is shorty's so i would just rather put the manifolds back on and spend the money elsewhere.
sorry for the essay it has been a disgust filled couple of weeks... anyway if anyone has any suggestions...
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

· HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
47,426 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
I know he was tryign to make a decision but I thought I would put my 2 cents in didnt think that would be a problem I have had good results with pacesetters. If I HAD to chose between those two I would go with thorleys.

Chill man

· HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
47,426 Posts
I know he was tryign to make a decision but I thought I would put my 2 cents in didnt think that would be a problem I have had good results with pacesetters. If I HAD to chose between those two I would go with thorleys.

Chill man

Your post to this was worthless and irrelevant. So why did you think recommending Pacesetters was smart? Hell have you ever seen a pair? Owned a pair? Touched a pair? Their build quality is :blah: at best

· Registered
116 Posts
Cause I liked them everyone is intitled to an opinion. I had them on my 2000 5.3 and loved them and many of my friends have had them. Build quality blah? I think not and I wasnt looking for a set of show headers I wanted the performance.

I added my choice out of the two what else do u want. I already don't like this forum everyone was nice on FSC never had a single problem been there for years.

· HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
47,426 Posts
:bye: go back to FSC

· Registered
116 Posts
Well I liked them thats my opinion. Why you gotta put me down? Sorry I got a good deal on them and they gave me great performance no complaints.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
well i called thorley and they said that the 310-y's were not smog legal for my truck, so to me that means when i go to have it smogged, there will be a problem. so i called bassani back and told him to ship me out the other header they have that was built with a little better q.c.. kurt was on it and said i will have it by tomorrow for a test fit, anyway i already spent the money and i wanted the bassani's from the getgo so im not too bummed out about getting the thorleys, im just hoping they the new header fits, and i can send them back for ceramic coating. he said that the header i got was laughable, when they tried to put it in the jig the collector was way out of whack and the primary tubes werent cut or bent right, they have no idea how it could have possibly even been welded up.

oh and about the trans cooler, yes the truck came with a factory trans cooler on it, but i upgraded to a trucool 40k:D

i didnt want to add any more rubber hose than the factory had so i picked up a length of pre-flared 3/8's tubing from autozone, cut it and bent a 90* bend for the drivers side and an offset bend for the passenger side, and cut the factory lines, i butted them up and used some stainless nut and ferule tubing couplers to connect them up. it came out pretty sweet.

· Speed Holes
5,633 Posts
well i called thorley and they said that the 310-y's were not smog legal for my truck, so to me that means when i go to have it smogged, there will be a problem. so i called bassani back and told him to ship me out the other header they have that was built with a little better q.c.. kurt was on it and said i will have it by tomorrow for a test fit, anyway i already spent the money and i wanted the bassani's from the getgo so im not too bummed out about getting the thorleys, im just hoping they the new header fits, and i can send them back for ceramic coating. he said that the header i got was laughable, when they tried to put it in the jig the collector was way out of whack and the primary tubes werent cut or bent right, they have no idea how it could have possibly even been welded up.

oh and about the trans cooler, yes the truck came with a factory trans cooler on it, but i upgraded to a trucool 40k:D

i didnt want to add any more rubber hose than the factory had so i picked up a length of pre-flared 3/8's tubing from autozone, cut it and bent a 90* bend for the drivers side and an offset bend for the passenger side, and cut the factory lines, i butted them up and used some stainless nut and ferule tubing couplers to connect them up. it came out pretty sweet.

nice work, I like it. Kind of wish I would have gone larger with my cooler too, like that 40k.

Good luck with that Bassani header too, be sure to post up results.

· HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
47,426 Posts
ATF cooler install looks good. :biggrin:

3,539 Posts
I checked for you and I have about 1/2-3/4" of an inch clearance between the frame rail and header on the passenger side. You'll be happy with the Bassani's when you get them on. The reason I asked about the tranny cooler is plan to run new tranny cooler lines past the header. I spent a good 30 minutes hand bending the factory lines and they are still wedged tight between the header and bell housing. I used some asbestos cloth for the time being to keep the lines from getting cut or worn through. I'm trying to find some time to run new lines but this is a good temp fix. Just a FYI otherwise everything else went really smooth and they fit great.

3,539 Posts
You will notice when you install the header. The long 4-1 design takes up a lot of room. The starter part of the bell housing is the issue. The lines will also interfere with the starter. Don't be discouraged though it is a worthwhile mod and hardly anything is bolt on.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
did you have to do any cutting? i saw another install thread by 1998chevy1500 on pt.net and i think he had to trim his bellhousing... but i think he had a 4l80

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
ok i got the header from bassani and it is much different, it clears the frame with a 1/4 inch to spare, so its good to go. but now i have a new problem, the tranny cooler lines are in the way, i need to bend them in towards the starter to clear, but getting something in there to bend the lines is a pita cause there isnt much room. i was thinking of bolting the header up and wedging something in there to bend the lines out of the way but im pretty sure that will just kink them. any suggestions?

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
time for an update
i got the header back from it getting coated and its installed, i got to fire up the truck for the first time in about 2 months, open headers ftw! anyway its going to the shop friday to get welded up finally. i think im gonna look for a little louder muffler now, i have a 24" long magnaflow that is really quiet, i love the chambered sound but not at the cost of flow, so i was thinking hooker maxflow single 3" center in/out and keep it dumped. any thought on the hooker maxflows? anyone have one?

3,539 Posts
Mufflers preference differs from individuals greatly. I have the smallest case magnaflow you can get turned down before the axle. Let me know if your interested in a sound clip and I could post one. I say search youtube for mufflers, but most people have hacked exhaust with mufflers installed on there.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.