GMC Truck Forum banner

header suggestions please

2451 66
i bought a set of bassani midlengths for my truck and when i got them i noticed the cats on 06's were moved further up in the y pipe, they are about 4 inches from the manifold flanges, they arent parallel with the ground like the older y pipes, so they wouldn't work, but i found a friend with an 05 y with the cats mounted down lower, horizontally, so i traded him. so i called bassani and they said that they have never seen this problem with the cats being mounted higher in the y pipe and that they are sure that their headers are smog legal on 06 models, and if i used the 05 y pipe it would be fine, so i took that and went on with the install. well 3 weeks ago i tore into the truck and found another problem. the passenger side header would not fit, the header flange wasn't even flat on the head and the #6 primary tube was on the frame, i had to push it down just to get the bolt holes to line up, but of course we didn't find this out till we had the drivers side header torqued down...anyway after going round and round with them about why it wont fit, and sending them numerous pictures, they said send them back for a full refund, i finally got the ups info from them Thursday and had them sent off. i would have had my money back already but bassani is closed on fridays for some damned reason. i've left the truck down because i was wanting to put headers on it and i was looking into getting a set of thorleys tri y's (the 310y's) but even though they have a carb number stamped on them and they reuse the stock (05 and older) y with cats and all they technically aren't smog legal for my truck (i called and asked thorley directly). i thought about getting them and doing it anyway and trying to sneak it through and see if they will pass it but when i go to smog it, if it doesn't pass the stock stuff will be hacked up to fit the thorleys and it will cost a ton of money to get it put back to stock for smog. so i was thinking about getting a set of pacesetters and their ory but having a set of cats installed in it so i can keep the stock stuff for smog time all together in one piece, but basically the only thing smog legal i have to work with at this point is shorty's so i would just rather put the manifolds back on and spend the money elsewhere.
sorry for the essay it has been a disgust filled couple of weeks... anyway if anyone has any suggestions...
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
yeah post it up, the maxflow is pretty much the same as magnaflows do you remember what length it was? round or oval? did it drone much? you tube is good but crap mikes and dissimilar setups make it all sound different.

· Registered
333 Posts
Hooker Aerochambers are nice sounding mufflers too. They are a little bit louder than magnaflows.
The Aerochamber sounds great, not too loud for a DD, besides nobody has one down here. I was going to get the Magnaflow but everyone and their mother has one where I live.

On a side note, just got one of those 40,000 gvw cooler for $113 shipped.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
dezert is that clip with your comp cam? it sounds great sleeper style!

Ok i just got the headers welded up and there is difference in sound for sure the headers are very quiet but you can hear the individual pulses. as for the butt dyno, i would say that the engine definitely breathes better, the difference is most noticeable at part throttle. the truck doesn't seem to need as much gas pedal to get going. wot is great with the headers the exhaust is a little louder, and it definitely pulls much better. all in all a worthy gain and a supporting mod for future mods like a cam...

· Speed Holes
5,633 Posts
I run a 5x8 w/14" case. Here's a quick clip and I hear you on the sound quality. This is shot with my point and shoot camera.

I thought maybe you had one of those 6" case magnaflows when you mentioned above you had the smallest...

That sounds pretty good, mellow, could get away as a sleeper. Much tamer than how mine sounds, or possibly it was just the point and shoot mic... ?
Are you running the OE y-pipe with the cats on your set-up with the Bassani's? That's what I would assume since you're in cali, but just want to ask.
That might be a big reason yours is so much quieter than mine.

Do you have Kings on your truck lowered?? Not much stroke left on that shaft!

3,539 Posts
dezert is that clip with your comp cam? it sounds great sleeper style!

Ok i just got the headers welded up and there is difference in sound for sure the headers are very quiet but you can hear the individual pulses. as for the butt dyno, i would say that the engine definitely breathes better, the difference is most noticeable at part throttle. the truck doesn't seem to need as much gas pedal to get going. wot is great with the headers the exhaust is a little louder, and it definitely pulls much better. all in all a worthy gain and a supporting mod for future mods like a cam...
Ya that's with my comp cam thanks. I'm not a fan of a lopey cam on these trucks like 99% of people seem to be. Unless of course the exhaust was designed around the cam and it performs. I don't need to set my idle high (635rpm), bobble my head in traffic, spin to 5k to make power etc etc. I really like the sleeperness of it. Although some people call it out just like the other day, I was at the guard gate to Shady Canyon and a 50ish year old guard actually got up out of his chair in the office, came out and said, "I know a nice car when I hear it, cam to right?". I thought it was pretty funny that he actually got up, came out to check my truck out for a few minutes when the average car that rolls through there are Ferrari's, Maserati's, Lambos etc. Cool guy though.

The drone is not bad if you can even consider it to have any. My old Flowmaster droned horrible. I could get an in car video if you like. I have my camera with me.

You should get a cam to compliment those headers. Any plans? What's next? A cam and tune will really wake that truck up.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
i was wanting to get a small cam, i was looking at the 206/212 and the 212/218 low lift, both of those have a slight chop to them, even though they are the smallest cams, i want more low/mid than 5k plus. but after seeing your before and after video i might just get the same one you got. im curious though how the lowend on that cam is, did it lose any?
and on your 0-95 after mods video (http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151586 i noticed that it seems kind of sluggish below 3500 rpms and then all the sudden comes to life, is that the cam or is that your footwork trying to keep traction?

3,539 Posts
i was wanting to get a small cam, i was looking at the 206/212 and the 212/218 low lift, both of those have a slight chop to them, even though they are the smallest cams, i want more low/mid than 5k plus. but after seeing your before and after video i might just get the same one you got. im curious though how the lowend on that cam is, did it lose any?
and on your 0-95 after mods video (http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151586 i noticed that it seems kind of sluggish below 3500 rpms and then all the sudden comes to life, is that the cam or is that your footwork trying to keep traction?
Horrible foot work trying to keep traction with the camera in hand. I have a lot of low end especially with the TT3000 tc. Remember I run 3.42 freeway gears on 29" tires which isn't a low end gear and still pulls like it does. I feel you can get away with not running a higher stall tc and this cam. I should get a driving video for you to see the streetability of the truck. My truck isn't crazy fast that's not what I went for. I went for good driveability on the street and it turned out kind of fast :D.

Here is my dyno graph. Compare my torque @ 3000 rpm to other dyno graphs out there with larger cams. Remember to add approx 15% to my numbers if your comparing to a Dynojet or Mustang dyno. So 305rwtq corrected at 3000rpm.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
your graph didnt show up, try reposting or maybe pm it to me.
anyway this thread made me want to get the xr265 http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=435536 but there is no improvement down low (below 3300 rpms) although it shows an impressive gain his max hp was 310 where in your other thread you said you were closer to 322hp and from your last post you made more torque over a wider band also. not to mention a damn near stock idle, which is also more of what i was wanting :D im not wanting to make this truck run 11's i just want it to be a little peppier and that 208/212 you got seems like the cam for me, i have a set of yellow ls6 springs should i use em, or dump em for some pac 1218's im pretty sure they will work, i have heard of guys using much higher lifts with them than the .554/.554 that that cam has.

3,539 Posts
This is also a strong running truck to compare dyno graphs off PT.net. Runs a 13.765 @ 98.91 342.43hp / 332.47tq. Cam is a TSP 220/220 .581/.581 112LSA

Mods are full bolt on e-fans, LT headers, ORY, cut out, tune, cam, tit retainers, udp, rear gears, tru trac, shift kit, vette servo, etc.

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
thats a good lookin graph too bad it doesnt start until about 3300 rpm, but choppy idle for sure.

i take that back you can get a tsp220 cut with a 116 lsa for a smooth idle, its in the drop down menu right on there website.

3,539 Posts
i have a set of yellow ls6 springs should i use em, or dump em for some pac 1218's im pretty sure they will work, i have heard of guys using much higher lifts with them than the .554/.554 that that cam has.

LS6 springs will work fine. My cam has a mild lobe and valve float should not be an issue. Especially since you don't need to rev the cam real high. The LS6 cam has about the same lift so I wouldn't worry about the yellow LS6 springs.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
i was just wondering, because there are alot of guys on pt that always ask and there is always that one guy that says that the ramp rates are too aggressive for the ls6 springs, even after 20 other people said it would be fine. i know the pacs are a good spring but i already have the ls6's.

3,539 Posts
thats a good lookin graph too bad it doesnt start until about 3300 rpm, but choppy idle for sure.

i take that back you can get a tsp220 cut with a 116 lsa for a smooth idle, its in the drop down menu right on there website.
It starts at 3300rpm, but you can get an idea off the rest of the graph and what it does before 3300. Add 10-15% on my numbers. I didn't have e-fans or ud pulley when I did my graph either. That's a lot larger cam than mine and I definetly wouldn't want that as a street cam.

On a 116 I'd suppose you'd lose even more low end since that would move the power band up.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
yeah i like that flat torque curve on your graph, and how the hp line climbs and then flattens out for about 500rpm up top. seems like the best "all around" cam. i need all the torque i can get, i still use my truck as a truck, i pull a 25' toy hauler with it and it seems like a worthy upgrade.

3,539 Posts
I've learned that 80% of people that post performance posts don't know what they are talking about and are regurgitating false info someone else posted. Internet racers with wack combos. I take most everything with a grain of salt. You should be fine with those LS6 springs. I ran 918's to be safe and am happy with them although they are overkill for my cam.

3,539 Posts
I think you'd really like my cam towing. I wouldn't get a stall it's annoying when it comes out of hard lock easily. I'd do stall last after the cam if you think you need one. Notice that TSP cam I posted the graph still pulls hard above 6500rpm which is not needed in a street truck/ daily driver imo.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.