GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
QuadraSteernado
8,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old set of headlights were on the shelf sitting next to a can of brake cleaner, and apparently that can leaked brake cleaner all over them.
Now there is a nice white milky looking tint to them.
Any cleaner I use will clean that white tint off for about 1 minute. After it dries back to the white shit!

White shit all over them:
000_1954.jpg

Perfectly clean:
000_1956.jpg

Few minutes later:
000_1957.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
They actually make a plastic polishing compound at your local auto parts store that works wonders :D

Lots of people use it for factory headlights when they get old and foggy.

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
meguires plastx

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have heard talk about that at the body shop, he said it works pretty good.
Friend of mine used it on his Dodge Intrepid...those cars have BIG ASS headlights and this was a '98 model that was foggy and fucked to hell. Hit it up with that and I asked him if he bought a brand new headlight...I didn't have a fucking clue!

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
Agreed on the polishing tips above. I did it on my DD, and it made a 100% improvement. There were still some deep chips that didn't come out, but the fog/haze was gone.

Just a note...these polycarbonate lenses have a UV protective coating sprayed on them from the factory. This is generally what fades over time. When you polish, it's very easy to end up with clear & shiney, but UNPROTECTED lenses.

What does this mean. Well, most likely, the fog/haze will return, and this time it will be much quicker. So most likely, you'll need to polish them again, in fewer miles than the 1st time.

For this reason, some folks choose to spray clear gloss on the lenses after polishing to help protect them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts