GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I've got a '13 Silverado 1500 that's Summit White, and I'm wanting to paint my headlight housing to match the truck. I have matched paint from another project, but wanted to see if anyone has any experience painting headlights that could say whether or not it's worth the work?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
I’ve never painted them personally, always sent them out but so far so good as far as the seal. I like a good painted headlight makes the truck IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
I did mine in my 08. Go to www.theretrofitsource.com for some tips and definitely consider doing true bi-xenon hid retrofits while you’re in there. Maybe some demon eyes if you like. I suggest buying some of TRS’ butyl to replace the seal with and possibly some of their Gore-Tex patches to add to the lights so if moisture dies get in, it can get out.
9C2C04A2-77CB-407A-8A57-8ED5C9431502.jpeg

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Paint them all the time. We glass media blast thr chrome to remove it and etch the surface. If you don't have access to a blast cabinet with glass media then just use some gray scuff pads to prep the chrome. Prime the surface, base coat and then if you dont have access to guns then grab some SprayMax 2K clear in a can. It will do a great job for you.
If you are doing your OEM lights then you will be cutting them open and not baking. You should use black Permatex silicone adhesive to seal them up. Not butyl. If you use aftermarket replicas then you can bake them and would use butyl.
Be sure to let the paint off gas for a day so you dont get any off gassing issues inside the headlights.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Paint them all the time. We glass media blast thr chrome to remove it and etch the surface. If you don't have access to a blast cabinet with glass media then just use some gray scuff pads to prep the chrome. Prime the surface, base coat and then if you dont have access to guns then grab some SprayMax 2K clear in a can. It will do a great job for you.
If you are doing your OEM lights then you will be cutting them open and not baking. You should use black Permatex silicone adhesive to seal them up. Not butyl. If you use aftermarket replicas then you can bake them and would use butyl.
Be sure to let the paint off gas for a day so you dont get any off gassing issues inside the headlights.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts