GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so it poured hard rain this afternoon and when I went to get into my truck after class to go home the back passenger side corner was soaked with water. I also see some stains from previous leaks along the back of the headliner near the rear window. I also found water on the floor at the back of the cab. I need some help with this because I dont my interior ruined because of rain. The truck is an 06 silverado regular cab btw. Thanks

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
First suspect is the third brake light. That seal can get old and not seal as well. IF that is the cause, you can get a new light with new gasket. Or, you can keep the original and use some clear silicone glue to seal up the area. I have heard of some people getting water in from the XM shark fin antenna, but much more rare.

·
GMFS Senior Member
4,032 Posts
^ Yep, 3rd brake lights on these trucks are notorious for leaking, especially if you've had the light off to replace the bulb. I've got my cab lights and 3rd brake lights sealed up with some flowable silicone.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks guys I will look into fixing this. Where exactly did you apply the silicon to on the third brake light?

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Where the old seal is....some clear silicone and ur done

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay cool. I will look into that either tomorrow or this weekend. I was busy today doing the temporary steering clunk fix, the steering column bearing rattle fix, and removing the top dash piece to put the ambient light sensor back in place since it had fallen in the dash on my girl firend's 05 silverado she purchased yesterday.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I good way to tell is if you see green, brown, black, etc staining inside the lens, once you remove it. Rainwater, mixing in with road grim and organic matter, tend to leave and mold/mildew behind. You should see some evidence of it coming in. Very unlikely you'll see a puddle of water or something, but evidence of it having come in should be there, if it is happening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts