GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tsp hardened pushrods and ls9 valve springs, just need to buy my cam. Decided to go with the asa cam (226/236 .525 int .525 exh 110 lsa). Would I benefit from swapping my 706 heads for 243's? I haven't purchased the asa cam yet, but my reason for choosing it is is sounds great and its a lower lift cam that wont be hard on my valvetrain since this is my daily (05 silverado z71 4x4 ecsb). Going to go with Howard's grind of the ASA since they supposedly have better lobes than the gmpp version. Anyone have any suggestion for what I should do about heads? Or anyone know of a better low lift cam that I can safely run in my daily with the ls9 springs?

·
4,725 Posts
I'd not bother with the heads since you are putting a cam that is not at all designed for your application.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I know its meant for an engine with more displacement. Any suggestion on a different low lift cam that would perform better in the 5.3? My other choice was Howard's grind of the hot cam. Everything else out there has more lift than I want

·
4,725 Posts
What's the max lift you want? Also curious why you're strictly wanting 'low lift'?

valve spring prices? valve guide wear? etc?

I think the best course of action is pick the heads you want, then pick the cam, then the supporting valvetrain parts. In other words, I treat spec'ing a cam as the response to the rest of the build.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only opting for low lift to prevent wear and the need to constantly replace springs. I bought the "matched set" of ls9 springs from lingenfelter. They are supposed to be good to .580 lift and since they are factory springs they are supposed to last a lot longer than aftermarket.

I decided I'm going to keep my 706 heads and have them port and polished. So I'd be interested in a cam that works well with 706's.

I have a stall going in as well. Its a 3200 stall but I'd have it restalled if needed to compensate for a larger cam. After the cam, head work and tune I'm not doing anything else to the truck so I'd like to squeeze as much power as I can out of the 706's and cam.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this, really appreciate it bro.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Scoggin dickey has a nice cam that would be great for the sound. Not sure on power The HT1 214/218 .559/.562 111lsa. Fogle had this cam in his crew cab it sounded great with a corsa. The ASA just seems big for a 5.3.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I had my 706's P&P and milled and made a big difference. if your running a 3200 stall I wouldn't go bigger than a 224 cam. im running a 220 cam myself and when I was NA with the heads FBO and those heads she would move pretty good. there are other cams out there could always get a custom ground cam if you want ever HP you can get.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts