GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
official cat dragger
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if it's possible to retrofit a hud system into our trucks (nbs), i know the older grand prix's had them, vettes have them. I know this is a long shot but it never hurts to ask. Thanks in advance guys!

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Yes, you can add one. I don't remember the company, but they make one to add on to vehicles. Its just a box that displays the info and you have to put a clear patch on the small part of the windshield. HUD windsheild have a special coating on them to reflect the info.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Heres a neat Iphone app..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB4ItuVnJD0[/ame]

·
official cat dragger
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was trying to do an oem-ish swap, i'd prefer not to have a box sitting on my dash. I wouldn't mind cutting my dash up, I can always buy a donor dash.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I saw one of these somewhere last night looking around on ebay....

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can definatley wire one up. If your NBS trucks carry a data feed wire then you can pull one from a 04 and up GM car. The rest would be retrofit. Anything from 1988-03 will wire into any older GM that does not use data feed to get the signal.

Here is the install in my 1998 tahoe. My unit is from a 1992 grand prix. I chose this because it has its own cover and is easy to install in most anything that has the space. This is a direct wire in.

100_1079.jpg

100_1082.jpg

shotty driving pic

100_1088.jpg

HUD unit causes no distraction at all and appears stock

100_1089.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
what does it take to tap into on the OBD1 88-95 vehicles?

Same as my 98. On my truck there is a wire for every function. I have heard on newer trucks they use a data feed. On my truck some of the wires were even the same color. I have all the info to wire it in. I am jus not sure when GM switched to data feed on GM trucks.

·
AKA Sugar Plum
2,023 Posts
Yes, you can add one. I don't remember the company, but they make one to add on to vehicles. Its just a box that displays the info and you have to put a clear patch on the small part of the windshield. HUD windsheild have a special coating on them to reflect the info.
that they do, but MANY guys on the w-body board have added them to other cars that don't come with them and they work just fine. I'd love to have one in my truck.

·
Certified V6 Warrior
195 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts