GMC Truck Forum banner

heads up display? (hud)

37K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  traksta15 
#1 ·
Anyone know if it's possible to retrofit a hud system into our trucks (nbs), i know the older grand prix's had them, vettes have them. I know this is a long shot but it never hurts to ask. Thanks in advance guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, you can add one. I don't remember the company, but they make one to add on to vehicles. Its just a box that displays the info and you have to put a clear patch on the small part of the windshield. HUD windsheild have a special coating on them to reflect the info.

#11 ·
You can definatley wire one up. If your NBS trucks carry a data feed wire then you can pull one from a 04 and up GM car. The rest would be retrofit. Anything from 1988-03 will wire into any older GM that does not use data feed to get the signal.

Here is the install in my 1998 tahoe. My unit is from a 1992 grand prix. I chose this because it has its own cover and is easy to install in most anything that has the space. This is a direct wire in.

shotty driving pic

HUD unit causes no distraction at all and appears stock

#15 ·
Yes, you can add one. I don't remember the company, but they make one to add on to vehicles. Its just a box that displays the info and you have to put a clear patch on the small part of the windshield. HUD windsheild have a special coating on them to reflect the info.
that they do, but MANY guys on the w-body board have added them to other cars that don't come with them and they work just fine. I'd love to have one in my truck.

#16 ·
Same as my 98. On my truck there is a wire for every function. I have heard on newer trucks they use a data feed. On my truck some of the wires were even the same color. I have all the info to wire it in. I am jus not sure when GM switched to data feed on GM trucks.
mind posting the wire guide from the HUD?

#20 ·
#24 ·
As far as I know there's a data feed wire going to the clock spring as well which is green, I tapped into it for this: http://www.crutchfield.ca/PAC_SWI_X_Steering_Wheel_Radio_Control_Interface_p/127swix.htm to maintain my steering control functionality with my deck. My guess is it's solely for the DIC and radio controls though, that being said you'd probably have to tap into the wire at the OBD port. I wish someone knew for sure, I would for sure chop up my dash to put that HUD in I posted from ebay. You can get the bezel from a vette to clean up the cutout on the dash too that could be made to fit IMO.

We need some sort of schematic to tell us what wires do what at the OBD port...

#26 ·
I see the Acadia SLT has the heads up display also, maybe this is easier to run in conjunction with the sierra/silverado wiring harness since its not a car like the vette is, I also would like to do this install when I get a new Sierra because the universal ones look shitty and I want the smooth lines of the ones that come from gm:beatdeadhorse5:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.