GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
GMFS founding member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i'm new to this truck. before i start tearing it apart i'd like to know what i'm doing. if anyone can advise the best way to remove and replaced the headunit and speakers, i'd appreciate it. my audio shop says the ABS is routed through the radio and won't work if i don't use some sort of box that plugs into the harness? can anyone elaborate on this? also will infinity kappa 60.5CS 6.5" components fit in the front doors? sorry for all the questions. thanks.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
What year truck? If its A 99+ I know for a fact the 6.5s will fit, I replaced mine. Pull off the door panel (few screwes than lift up and pullout) and the old speakers are clipped in.

·
GMFS founding member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dark Eternal said:
What year truck? If its A 99+ I know for a fact the 6.5s will fit, I replaced mine. Pull off the door panel (few screwes than lift up and pullout) and the old speakers are clipped in.
it's a 2004. i've removed the door panels in my tundra dozens of times, these sound like they're similar. can you advise how to remove the headunit? thanks.

mattwho said:
You will lose door chimes but that should be it. nothing to do wiht the ABS.
fwiw, they also said my check engine light will come on too. i'm going to pull the headunit and see if either of these two things happen. if they don't, i won't deal with this shop again. they're starting to sound like they're full of shit. they also told me my GM truck will require a special $100 part to make the remote starter work and offered to charge $350 for a crimestoppper remote starter. anyways, running the ABS through the radio? i was like WTF? i'll install it myself, thank you.

although they did offer me an alpine 9815 and XM tuner for $600, i assume since they quoted me $90 to install it, this price applies to carryout as well. keep the advice coming! i want to do this myself. no way in hell am i going to let someone rape me like this shop is trying to.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
You should ask some other people more about the HU. With the 03+ there is a special harness and crap you need. Taking it out isnt to hard, just pull the dash bezel off and the HU slides out by some clips im pretty sure. Once you start taking things apart you will see it.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
on my 04 the H/U is held by 3 bolts, pull on the dash bezel and it will come loose and just work your way around it and be carefull but you have to pull pretty hard sometimes... Then you will see the 3 bolts...

Also if you have steering wheel controls you have to have a $60 dollar part to keep those working, also you will need an adapter to keep the door chime, but im not sure if its 100% necessary... You will need an antenna adapter for sure... Good luck...

Also I think it maybe a nation wide thing but my local shop said that if I was to buy a Pioneer Primier head unit I would get a free sirus tuner as long as I bought the antenna at the same time...

·
Loves yoga pants
2,408 Posts
I believe what they are referring to is the matrix wiring system. There are many things that GM is trying to do so that the aftermarket industry has a harder time inovating items for their vehicles. There are some vehicles that DO have the door locks and other items' wiring that loop thru the factory radio. I'm not too sure about the 03-04 trucks, but the newer Impalas have it. Some pherds have it too.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
GM is fucken retarded on some things... But it can be done, so if you are not totally sure, it never hurts to have profesionals do it. I have seen 3 different 04s new from dealership in my audio shop so Im not to worried that he dont know what to do on the 04's...

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
you can by pass the GM pass lock feature(our keys have a built in chip that tells the car its a GM Key). For the remote starter, the ____(the 100 dollar thing i can't remmeber the name of), sends a signal saying that the key is in the ignition, and lets the engine start.

Every automanufacturer is trying to make it so you can't remove any components of the car. They want everything to be OEM. SEMA is supposedly fighting this.

·
GMFS founding member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2k1slvrdo said:
SEMA is supposedly fighting this.
i don't blame them. i'll fight it too, where do i sign up?

note to GM: the day you install a sound system that doesn't have the sonic capabilities of a clock radio is the day i keep everything stock.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
hovisimo said:
i don't blame them. i'll fight it too, where do i sign up?

note to GM: the day you install a sound system that doesn't have the sonic capabilities of a clock radio is the day i keep everything stock.
GM is better than alot of companies... BMW.. ugh. Infiinity, Acura, Mercedes Benz? horrible. they integrate everything into one dash piece... American cars are by far the easiest to modify.

Car stereos will always suck. They've come along ways though

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Ok Ill set the story straight! The central door locking system, airbag and door chime all work threw the radio. Now if you get that kit, $60, you have to relocate the radio under the seat or behind it, where ever you can. Its only on the RDS radios that have the radio info displayed on them like song title and the name of the artist. The RDS radios require you to use a 99-3300 kit to install it which is the 3 bolt one, not the snap out kit (99-3002). If you cant tell which radio it is you have, just slightly pull the dash out around the radio and see if it unsnaps or is held in with bolts. If it had bolts , its RDS and requires that $60 kit, a dash kit ,and an ant. adaptor. If it snaps in it takes a dash kit, wiring harness, and an ant. adaptor and no relocating!
Hell Honda started that also back in 97. We had to use a set of harnesses and leave the stock radio behind the dash with +, +switched and ground on it so the dome light(s), and factory keyless or alarm would still work. Also the new Passlock II Imobilizer cant be permanetly defeated unless you do it in the computer. The older Passlock I could be defeated with a single resistor and there was only 15 combinations. If the one combination wasnt right, you waited 10 minutes and tried again. Any of you guys with the newer trucks like the 99+, then you need a DEI part # 555L or 555T to get the remote start to work. Ask TJ, I had to use one on his truck, it wasnt pretty or nice to get to work! its very picky about grounds and power sources

·
9,823 Posts
go look again, I just editted it and added alot

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
So you are saying the only way to keep everything like it was from Factory you will have to keep the stock radio hooked up? I know some shops think they have to have the stock radio hooked up no matter what, but I had the H/U installed and I did have a new unit that did my door chime, but everything else worked the same that I knew... But I have had people tell me I will have to put the stock unit behind the seat and thats not the only way to do it...

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
94flamds10blazr said:
go look again, I just editted it and added alot
hey just out of couriousity, i remember when i was getting my system installed, my installer had a website of how to take apart pretty much every car. Do install guys have to like pay for that stuff, or is it free? Trying to figure out how to take a damn car apart is harder than putting the CD player in itself.

·
9,823 Posts
please tell me another way, I would love to know!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Im not meaning to be a smart ass or anything...But I had a panasonic unit hooked up and they used the GMRC-01? Something like that, and I didnt keep my stock unit hooked up and the only thing that didnt work was my steering wheel controls...

If I am off the subject then tell me... But CC did the install and I didnt keep the stock unit hooked up...

I also have the radio that uses 3 bolts to hold it in, instead of the clip in style that I had in my 99 NBS

·
GMFS founding member
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aberbaseball7 said:
So you are saying the only way to keep everything like it was from Factory you will have to keep the stock radio hooked up? I know some shops think they have to have the stock radio hooked up no matter what, but I had the H/U installed and I did have a new unit that did my door chime, but everything else worked the same that I knew... But I have had people tell me I will have to put the stock unit behind the seat and thats not the only way to do it...
i'm wondering the same thing. i don't feel like pointing my alpine remote towards the backseat. what harness/black box/whatever did they use in your install?

good god this is complicated. i think i'll just let my shop install it. i may do the amp and speaker install myself to save a couple bucks.

·
9,823 Posts
new one on me aberbaseball, Ill have to check with a buddy of mine over there, see if they have some new part we dont carry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts