GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my old headunit is not turning on at all now. I pulled it out yesterday to rerun the power wire, got it rerun, and now it won't turn on for anything. I have tested the power wire, its getting power, and im pretty sure on the harness the black wire is the ground, cut it and ground it out, and it grounds out right...tested it wiht the multimeter too...but it will not come on for anything...it came on for maybe 2 mins earlier, i move it and was baout to put it back in the dash and it cut off again...what the hell else should i check??? i want to get this thing put back together.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My factory head unit on my hoe screwed up on me a while back. Cut off and wouldn't turn back on. My ground and power was good. My accessory wire showed not to be getting power. I ran a wire from constant to the accessory to make sure the radio still worked, when that turned out ok I had no clue where to go. DAMN FUSE WAS MESSED UP!!! We had checked the fuse 4 or 5 times before we started screwing with everything and it appeared in perfect condition. I put a new fuse in and bam......worked like a champ. Must have been a weak fuse.

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive checked all the fuses...but i might throw new ones in there just to be sure...no reason not to i guess...i think it might be a connection somewhere tho, because it started doin it when i moved the H/U, and i didn't do anything different, and it came on, moved it again, and it turned off once more...so who knows...ill try something tomorrow.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mine went off when I hit a bump. I could push the recall button and it would come on for 3 seconds, then shut off. Got home and took the head unit out, put it back in, and nothing would come on..........so yea i guess it could be a number of things. Hard to tell really, but all mine was was the fuse....

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
my guess would be u blew a fuse... the accessory power turn on wire is usually fused. On aftermarket headunits its usually the red wire coming off the back of the headunit. Simple test to see if thats the reason its not working, plug that wire into the power line. If the head unit comes in, start looking for fuses.

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i finally got it workin right...did what 2k1 said and put the acc wire in the power and got it to come on. The radio fuse blew in the fuse box and i changed it and redid the acc wire...and it worked...i go through some damn fuses too it seems like but i got it goin now. finally got it where it doesn't cut out when the sub hits...so even after 3 days of fuckin wiht it, its worth it...thx for the help fellas

·
Registered
787 Posts
damn fuses, thats what my problem was the whole time..........

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah...i hate fuses...somethin so simple that you can easily forget about...atleast it wasnt the problem till i already had the HU out of the dash...lol...id feel like a dumbass otherwise...i thought i heard a fuse blow yesterday after i had it workin for a min, and sure enough, thats what it was...

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
RedneckDude said:
well i finally got it workin right...did what 2k1 said and put the acc wire in the power and got it to come on.
yea i own. For some reason no one thinks its ever a fuse. Then i've seen guys rewire it like i told you to and just leave it that way. You get the dumbest things happening, like the car won't unlock unless the engine is running and stupid crap like that. glad to hear that finally one of my posts isn't random bs :crazy:

·
Registered
787 Posts
hey i told him first thing to check the fuses! give me some credit :head:

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, it seems like people never do check fuses...im guilty of that too...but i got it goin now, so thats all i care about...i duno what caused the problem the first time, cuz it wasn't till after i had it goin for about 5 mins that the fuse blew, and i knew thats what it was after that...but i got everything back together now...live and learn...

·
Registered
787 Posts
yea there is no tellin man, shit gets complicated....sometimes it's an easy fix, others your stumped for days, weeks.....

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah...im glad i got it done in a couple days...i would never drive if i didn't have music...i took my moms grand cherokee the other night cuz i wouldn't drive the blazer w/ no tunes...

·
Registered
787 Posts
my g/f got her cd player stolen out of her old truck. took a month to get a new one because insurance were being asses........needless to say i didn't ride with her very often, because that shit gets very very old.

·
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, my buddy didn't have cd player in his blazer...and insanely loud exhaust...so i never wanted to ride with him...he finally get a cd player in it, and then wrecks it...so now its sittin at a shop, waitin to be fixed...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts