GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
LSX out trumps anything IMO
Efficiency vs SBC isn't even close hence the reason everything you stick you head I'm has LS swap

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
It depends on the year and what it is going into but it's not an overly complex swap. However the ls based motor is far more efficient.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
The stock pump can support the ls motor. So fuel is pretty easy for your situation. There are tons of write ups on Google. The hardest part is wiring if you plan on doing it your self. There is many write ups on that too. But they make stand alone harness if you want.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i wanted say 350 to 400 at the crank out of lq4 what exactly would i have to do to achieve that? i know 5.7 vortec almost everything butwhat about on lq4

im just trying to weight the choices to find out what is the most cost effective way about going about it.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
if i wanted say 350 to 400 at the crank out of lq4 what exactly would i have to do to achieve that? i know 5.7 vortec almost everything butwhat about on lq4

im just trying to weight the choices to find out what is the most cost effective way about going about it.
Cam long tubes and a tune (which is needed anyway) would put you around the 400 mark. Stock they are around the 335 mark.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
If it was running and had good compression and oil pressure I would not even open it up. Well I would do knock sensors but no need to do anything internal.

·
HABS SUCK!!
1,833 Posts
Find a low mile lq4, for the power you want the totally stock bottom end is fine. You can make 400 crank hp underwater with stock 317 heads, martin @ tick cam and good springs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright . for wiring im find as long as i have a systematic. if i can find one im thinking at the very least have the piston rereinged. the crank turned. new timing set / oil pump. a basic rebuild with a bigger cam. I basically wanna set what ever and forget it kinda deal. i dont wanna keep having to pull it apart over and over again lol

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
These motors are good for 200k+ miles. I have a buddy that has 225k on his lq4 and it's never been a part. It has not had a easy life either.

But if you want to go through that go for it.

·
HABS SUCK!!
1,833 Posts
Replace every bearing in the motor if you want to tear it all down. I got mine for $100 complete because of a spun cam bearing. 120k mile motor. Magnaflux it all to be sure, have the crank polished. I went into mine thinking I was going to create a 450-500 rwhp stock bottom end with ARP rod bolt deal, it can get wild in a hurry. The only stock part I ended up reusing was the crank and block.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replace every bearing in the motor if you want to tear it all down. I got mine for $100 complete because of a spun cam bearing. 120k mile motor. Magnaflux it all to be sure, have the crank polished. I went into mine thinking I was going to create a 450-500 rwhp stock bottom end with ARP rod bolt deal, it can get wild in a hurry. The only stock part I ended up reusing was the crank and block.

i cant say i have the same luck , everyone im seeing so far is like 2k - 2.5 k and have 160-200k miles on it lol. im not exactly enthusiastic at this point

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
i cant say i have the same luck , everyone im seeing so far is like 2k - 2.5 k and have 160-200k miles on it lol. im not exactly enthusiastic at this point
Just upgrading to a 5.3 is a big improvement. people want a premium for the lq4 and lq9. I bought a whole truck for 1200.

·
HABS SUCK!!
1,833 Posts
My room mate manages a salvage yard and has ls motors up to his waist, I could have you one shipped there for less than half of that.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
defanitly build a LS.
400 hp is crazy easy to do with a 6L. cam, LTs and tune will get you that. nothing fancy needed at all.
do a compression test and if its good then run it.
the only reason I pulled my LQ4 apart was cause I am running decent power on motor and then I will be spraying a hefty shot of nitrous so I gapped the rings for nitrous and ran ARP rod bolts along with some new bearings

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
a guy contacted me back with a 6.0 that has 44k miles on it with the computer for 1500

honestly debating on just buying a new truck and trading the 98 in. i saw a 05 tahoe but it has a 5.3 in it. Maybe a cam in and a tune exhaust in that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts