GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i read a previous post of someone in my old thread i decided to start a new one. I am a new driver just getting my license and just getting my first truck. I do want it for looks mostly but i am still going to take it offroading here and there. What should i get for it to look really good? (I know you all have your best opinions) I am on a pretty tight budget but i do not mind on getting a loan and paying it off. Just tell me your best ideas. 1996 Silverado, 4x4.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well, I'd never get a loan for a truck mod, its just not worth it.

but....that aside, I'd proabably start out small (just tires...maybe different wheels...), and then once I had more money go up. If you buy say 16x8 rims and some 285/75/16 tires now, you can fit them with no lift, and then save up. By the time the tires wear out, you can probably save up enough to pick up a lift and new tires, which will fit on the 16x8 rims. Thats what I would do if i were on a tight budget.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
ooh right..uh . Tire size.

what mine has:

http://www.resnet.trinity.edu/avaselaa/the_blazer.htm

They are bigger than stock, but not so big that you need a lift.

the 285 is tread width in millimeters, which measures out to about 11.4"
the 75 is aspect ratio, it sort of tells you what kind of profile the tire has, taller or shorter. Like a 35 would be the low pro tires that those crazy lowridah's run, and 70-75 is about a normal truck tire.
16 is teh rim size in inches. If thats not right...

correct me. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
all i know about metric sizes is that the 285 alone dont mean shit as to how wide the tire is. You have to have both measurements to get an accurate size. Like the first number ie 285 is MM from bead to bead so it could be a wide tire or a tall tire...you have to know the 2nd number to know the sidewall height. Then you know whether it is tall and skinny or wide and short. Im pretty sure that is how that works.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DE, what kind of body lift? dude, you dont understand how blank i am on all this. Hopefully ill be more familiar with it in a while

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The 285 is pretty close though to the tread width, I took a ruler to mine and it measured out right around 11. Although it does have something to do with the sidewall height...like a % i think?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
the formula for metric tires to REAL SIZE(ie American). damn metric :crazy:

(width/10) / 2.54 then multiple that answer by the aspect ratio(the second number on the size, ussually 70 or 75 for our tires). then times that answer by 2 and add the wheel size.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If the first # stays the same.....and the middle # is higher you will have a taller skinner tire....the middle # goes lower you have a shorter wider tire.....both #s go up you will have a taller wider tire.....both #'s go down you will have a shorter skinnier tire.....So yea Joe is right, the first # is like a fart in a whirlwind w/o the 2nd #. And we all know the last # is the rim?/???ok good

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
BobStaMan said:
DE, what kind of body lift? dude, you dont understand how blank i am on all this. Hopefully ill be more familiar with it in a while
Performance Accesories all the way. They are the main and by far best kit. Its very complete and not to bad to instal if you are mechanically inclined. Make sure to get bumper brackets for the back so your rear bumper is raised. Gap guards go in your wheel wells so you dont see the gap between the body and frame that is created from the bodylift.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
Performance Accesories all the way. They are the main and by far best kit. Its very complete and not to bad to instal if you are mechanically inclined. Make sure to get bumper brackets for the back so your rear bumper is raised. Gap guards go in your wheel wells so you dont see the gap between the body and frame that is created from the bodylift.

:word: Nothing but Performance Accessorie BL IMO.
And with the basic tools and know how, you can do the install yourself with a friend.

The Gap Guards are not required but make it look 10000x better IMO, the big air gap isnt out back and the engine isnt showing in the front.

BD

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So... Ill buy my 1996 silverado, buy a performance accessories 3'' body lift. (What exactly is the difference from a body lift and a full lift?). And ill buy some 305/70/16 tires and save up for rims? what kind of tires? How much will all this cost?

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
they dont really make a 3" suspension lift, you could do a 3" bodylift for about 300 bucks in parts (including gap guards)
On OBS trucks (he's talking about a '96), body lifts are dirt cheap. If I remember correctly, they are only about $150-$175.

BobStaMan - If I were you, and wanting a truck with a nice stance (on a budget), I'd do a 3" body lift, some wheels (probably 15x10's), and some 33x12.50-15 tires. But thats just me... :anitoof:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts