GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not buying yet, but im looking into getting a cam eventually and want to start learning more about em (i know ****) and which ones specifically to start looking into for my tastes. Could anyone give me some specifics into what i should look into? im not sure if anything will contradict itself, but heres what i would like IDEALY out of the cam:
-most importantly, this truck is my only ride so i would like to keep dependability and what not
-i would like to keep low end power, i tow some and do a decent amount of stop and go driving so i (think) i would not like to rely on a higher stall (or maybe just a Trailblazer torque converter)
-some nice good sound would be nice, i think it's called 'lope'
-probably won't go too far in depth in performance mods (doubt ill do FI)

what else do i need with a cam? springs? pushrods? torque converter? (although id rather stay in a lower power range). and lastly will a stock tranny hold up to whatever power i get? (probably do a shift kit and vette servo anyway)

thanks for any help

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
well your a 4x4, tow and want low end power...212/216...212/218..115lsa..

your not really gonna get any lope outta it, cause thats characterisitcs of a higher reving cam...

2600 stall works great for 4x4 guys......

stock trannies are hard to say..depends on your driving style..i would recommend the basics you lsited

get rods and springs.... and a tranny coller

id start with more supporting mods first like full exhaust, efans...

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
which cam??? how long will my POS trans work?? What else will I need??

USE SEARCH PLEASE... its posted about 15 times a week here.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Better off swapping to 4.30:1s front and rear before a cam. Nothing can help the difference mechanical advantage can. It's just over 2200rpm @ 70mph on stock tires (265/75R16) and just over 2100rpm on 285 A/Ts. Drop down to 65mph, your econ probably won't change but you'll VASTY increase your towing capacity and performance with that alone. Yes, it's spendy if you farm it out... so time to learn a trade. :)

Cams, the mild ones from Comp and Vinci are nice. Look at what I post on cams, that's what you'll want. No reason to overcam your truck with lift or duration. Just need some LS6 springs and valve seals. Stock rods are okay for lower RPM use (5800-6k shift points), hell the rods are the same in the 5.7 LS6 as the truck.

Skip that TB stall. Buy a new TT3k, they're about $450 now. Great stall for DD and towing. I've owned about three of them I think, just can't beat it for how nice it drives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts