GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an air system about 7 days ago...its running fine...

I have a 550c viair compressor installed in the engine compartment...
now it wont run and it ate the 30 amp fuse...
I checked for shorts...couldn't find any,...
tried agian...ate another fuse..
recheck...tryed a 50 amp ate it alive too...

the motor reads about 14 ohms of resistance and the relay system (pressure sensing seems to be working...)

no the compressor didn't get wet...
any Ideas whats up?

·
layin big rubber
1,457 Posts
kryptonite said:
Nope and yes...got it from a local supplier...I will pull it out tonight I guess and have a look...
have u hooked it straight up to the battery just to check that it works, the compressor itself could be bad

u never know

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gotta(be)low said:
What duty cycle was it? You could have fried it...
Its 100 % duty cycle...that is at 72 F and 100 psi... :think: it only ran for two minutes last time it ran and it shut off at the correct cut off...

What amperage fuses is every body else running!...
My dad who knows nothing about air bagged trucks, but does say that if it is rated to 30 amps and was a normal dc motor he would fuse it 150 to 300% higher than the rating...so like 45 to 90 amps :insane:

Well I have it out of the truck and took it totally apart...and cant find anything wrong?....
I guess I will reassemble and bench test the thing...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beyond Static said:
what gauge wire are you running? I'd run 8 gauge.
I used 10 guage because the compressor is in my engine compartment and is only like a 3 foot run...if I remount it under the truck I will go with 8 guage for that longer run...

has anyone checked there fuse sizes on their compressors?

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
maybe the heat...? most of the guys on here are running engine driven comps... so sorry.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Most people run 50 amp fuses and 8 guage wire. In my bagged Maxima, I ran two 550cs, both had 4 guage into splitters to 8 guage wiring to them, with 60 amp fuses. Never had a problem.
Alex

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I took the whole thing apart...couldn't find anything wrong...reassembled it and it works :think:
Well thats good right?
I am running a 60 amp fuse and no problems now...so...

I went out and got my new rims and tires...
newwheelsdown.gif

now I just need to add an engine driven compressor so the electric can be my backup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts