GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
hotroddr32
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first experience cutting coils, and as I'm putting these things back in, when i line the cut end of the coil into the coil notch on the LCA, it kicks the spring into a crazy angle that just don't look right.

I cut 1/2" off the factory, so do I still need to use that notch in the bottom or set it in there where the coil is comfortable?

I feel like an idiot for asking dumb questions, so you'll have to overlook my inexperience.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
:word: but from his post its too late and he allready cut them.

They need to be in the grooves....you might have to cut another 1/2 coil to make it right

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Like JB said, they have to seat correctly in the groove. That's why nobody really does it because it changes that angle....

Buy drop coils, they're really cheap.

·
hotroddr32
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For every one says cutting is ok another says no...whatever they are cut and I only wanted another inch of drop. Not to mention the truck has a v6 and there's no quarantees of what id get from a spring.Been there done that.

Ive got a set of 2" springs setting next to me if I didn't care to go that route.. I hate to buy a 1 inch coil and get a 1/2 inch from it.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
For every one says cutting is ok another says no...whatever they are cut and I only wanted another inch of drop. Not to mention the truck has a v6 and there's no quarantees of what id get from a spring.Been there done that.

Ive got a set of 2" springs setting next to me if I didn't care to go that route.. I hate to buy a 1 inch coil and get a 1/2 inch from it.
they do have to settle a little as well

·
hotroddr32
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thought about it, but thats gonna possibly leave me with a 4" drop..and a rake from hell!

·
hotroddr32
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Either way..I'm pretty much screwed. I'll trim it until the thing fits, and if it rides like crap, I'll pick up some springs. I don't want it alot lower than I had it...don't want to start buying more parts right now.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Okay, by using your logic you say that you think a 1 inch coil will only yield a 1/2 inch drop because you have a lighter motor. But you think a 2 inch coil will somehow settle to 4 inches?

Put the 2 inch coil on, if its too low order a 1 inch coil and sell the 2 inch ones.

·
hotroddr32
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, since it has a 2 inch LCA on it if I add the 2 inch spring that will get me to a 4" drop. Since I already have 4" in the back, I don't think thats the look I want.

·
hotroddr32
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
u can always yank a leaf if u think the rear is too high
it has a 3" Bell tech leaf in it now with a shackle.

i hate to sound stressed, but Im ready to drive this thing, and my wife is sick of taking my butt to work. So if I dont get it done, there isn't gonna much Quality Time for me (if you know what I mean.):bawl:

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
i know many guys on here that have cut coils and say it still rides fine. the only time u fuck up cutting coils is when u heat them or cut them to much. other wise once he gets this settled i dont think he'll have a problem with ride quality

·
hotroddr32
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok-update I ended up cutting a little over half a coil. Drove it up the road rides better than before! pretty kewl!

Problem I noticed it was pretty noisy as I drove it, and when I got back I could notice it looks like it is toed'in pretty bad compared to before. Will an alignment fix this or did I go too far? Here are some pics...
DSC01010.jpg
DSC01011.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts