GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LIKE WHOA!!!
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I' thinking of a 6" Fabtech, and 3" Body lift. probably 16x10 rims. Question is, what size tires. Everyone seems to run 35's w/ this setup, such as fatboy, etc. However, I want to run cali style pretty good, so I am going to be a bit lower in the back, meaning less clearance for the 35s. I'm thinking about some 33s just becasue 1. It gives me more clearence, so i dont flare my rear fenders like i did on my last truck, and 2. I might not have to regear and 3. less wear and tear on my front end. Here is the kicker. If I run 33s, I am thinking of some 33x14.50 swampers. I know this is hypocritical, because the wide tires will be bad for the front too, but i have always liked the wide look, rather than some 315/75s which aren't very wide at all.

Heres my main question. Do you think the 33x14.50 will look gay? Keep in mind the back will be lower for the cali style. And just 'how' bad are those 14.5s goign to be on my front?

you may as well not even comment if you are from texas, cause all you guys hate cali style.

Thanks -Ryan

·
LIKE WHOA!!!
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3.73. and if the coils sag badly, then i am probably going to have more probs fitting 35s.

·
LIKE WHOA!!!
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe i should ditch the body lift, and just get some 33x12.5 swampers... that way 1. i wont have to regear, and 2. i have no ugly body lift, 3. less money (dont have to buy body lift, nor pay to get that installed.) This is sounding appealing. -Ryan

·
Registered
724 Posts
You dont need to regear and 35's will fit with only 7 inches of lift. 9 inches is way to much for 33's. I've seen 37's with 9 inches. Heres a link to my truck. Its a 99' Silverado 2WD with a 7" fabtech and 315/75/16 GoodYear MT/R's. It fits fine, but rubs a little when tires are cranked and truck is leaning (on the inner fender).
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=458023&cat=25&val=1

·
LIKE WHOA!!!
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i think i have to regear w/ 35s because otherwise chevy would sell trucks with a 3.13 gear ratio or whatever it comes out to.

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
ryanerb said:
well i think i have to regear w/ 35s because otherwise chevy would sell trucks with a 3.13 gear ratio or whatever it comes out to.
Trust me, re-gearing your truck is a great investment and well worth it. :read:

MotoHead

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
It is an investment and prob is worth it, but if you plan to go wiht bigger tires later on, 3.13 overall isn't bad...try 33s on 3.08s (like 2.80 overall)...thats my daily driver. I don't wanna regear a 10 bolt rear cuz i know ill blow it, and im goin to run like 35s atleast one day...hopefully 38s or 40s later on...but thats after i regear a 14 bolt...regearing can be a worthwhile investment...or a waste of money...

·
LIKE WHOA!!!
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya, i agree w/ you motohead. I'm not sure what dreamrr is thinkin. plus, its harder on the transmission when you dont regear. I'm not a newb on regearing, etc, i just was asking for "looks" opinions (ex 33s w/ 9"). Anyways... as of now, i will probably just do the 6" w/ 33s if i do it. -Ryan

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
ryanerb said:
Anyways... as of now, i will probably just do the 6" w/ 33s if i do it. -Ryan
Sounds good. One of the guys that sometimes goes camping with us has the same truck as you only with extended cab and he is running a 6" RCD lift with 33" tires and it looks really good so you should be happy with how yours turns out. I think his rims are 10" wide by the way and I know for a fact they are not wider than that.

MotoHead

·
Registered
724 Posts
I didnt regear and I have plenty of power, but I plan to regear once my 37's are on. Good luck with your truck, but I still think you should go with the 35's.

·
LIKE WHOA!!!
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks. ya, i tow a boat too, so i need the torque sometimes. Thanks guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts