GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to take out my old fuel pump to replace it. I have the tank halfway down and I can't get these fuel lines off to save my life. I even bought the tool from advance auto that's supposed to help disconnect fuel lines quickly. It doesn't fit right. :think: How did you guys do this and the fuel line on the other end of the tank. And any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've changed a few hundred GM fuel pumps (not that they have a problem with that or anything). The ones with the pump you can change seperate usually come apart with the tools shown with no problems. the ones you have to change the whole module are a bitch, I just break them off the pump and get the ends out later.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome, I will stop at Autozone in the morning, So i can use these to get the 2 fuel lines off the pump and I need to disconnect that other fuel line on the other end of the tank right? am i missing anything?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The electrical, the fuel filler hose and vapor line. If this on an SUV you have to really work at to get the right angle for the tank to drop out. The front sits above a crossmember and rear is right up against the rear axle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i know, i have the metal piece thats under that tank on the ground now but the tank is still caught up. I have the filler hose and vapor line out, I still need to get the fuel lines and electrical off. I can't see how the electrical comes off but I will try to figure it out tomorrorw morning, maybe i could leave the electrical on until i have the tank on the ground, is it long enough?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can't see how the electrical comes off but I will try to figure it out tomorrorw morning, maybe i could leave the electrical on until i have the tank on the ground, is it long enough?
No, you need to get your arm up on top and release the tap to disconnect it. The last thing you want to do is stretch those wires and possibly break a connector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts