GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a 2008 Silverado I don't know much about lowering trucks, and i'm on a budget. I found the one i want in a truckin magazine, its from sport truck direct. cost of the kit is only $199, and it comes with front springs and a flip kit. i called them to see how much it would lower my truck and they said its a 3 5 kit with everything i need to lower my 08. what i want to know is I have Boss 24'' with 305 35 24 tires so will this fit without rubbing? Also want to know about a flip kit, are these a problem i mean do i have to worry about my rear end falling off or any other problems with it?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
OK I have a 2008 Silverado I don't know much about lowering trucks, and i'm on a budget. I found the one i want in a truckin magazine, its from sport truck direct. cost of the kit is only $199, and it comes with front springs and a flip kit. i called them to see how much it would lower my truck and they said its a 3 5 kit with everything i need to lower my 08. what i want to know is I have Boss 24'' with 305 35 24 tires so will this fit without rubbing? Also want to know about a flip kit, are these a problem i mean do i have to worry about my rear end falling off or any other problems with it?
First of all, don't buy that kit. A 3" spring up front WILL NOT align, and you'll have some pretty worn tires.

2nd of all, a flip kit is 7" of drop out back and you'll also need drop shocks.

Why not do it right and get a good kit?

Go with a mcgaughy's flip kit from Tim on here for the rear, and get a ground force or belltech coil (2") and ground force or Mcgaughys spindle (2") for 4" up total front.

No problems at all with a quality flip kit installed correctly, just as reliable as OEM. I've got about 10,000 miles on mine and a friend on mine was 30,000 on his, both Mcgaughys brand.

·
Resident Metal Head
5,527 Posts
$199 sounds too cheap for an entire lowering kit :imo. Probably awful quality.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
It pisses me off to no end that they sell kits that don't align.

I just had a friend order a western chassis drop 4" up front from Sport Truck Direct and it doesn't align, we had to get another UCA bushing to pull camber in. :nono:

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
$199 sounds too cheap for an entire lowering kit :imo. Probably awful quality.
:word: you're looking at 150 for flip kit, 250 spindles, 200 coils, 100 shocks...... Just a ballpark..... If you can't do it right, save up the money.

If you buy that kit, we will all :slap: you

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help, so whats the best lowering kit for the money? and how low can i go without rubbing or having to cut anything with 24''

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
I can't help you with tire size, I have OEM 20's on 285/50's so it's not close to rubbing and I'm currently at 4" up front.

If you want the best drop, go with ground force spindles and ground force coils up front (I have the coils and they ride great)

Then out back do Mcgaughys flip kit.

That'll be 4/7.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks man if i lower it that much in the back do i have to notch my frame i have seen people talking about that

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Thanks man if i lower it that much in the back do i have to notch my frame i have seen people talking about that
With 7" put back on a crew cab it might now be a bad thing. Armando has an ECSB with a 7" flip kit and air shocks which he aired up to lift him another inch out back for 6", that's a cheaper option.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and you said the springs wont align in the front.. call me stupid but im brand new to lowering trucks so does that mean it wont align with the truck parts or it wont align as in driving down the road? and that will make my tires lean in or out and look stupid

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
and you said the springs wont align in the front.. call me stupid but im brand new to lowering trucks so does that mean it wont align with the truck parts or it wont align as in driving down the road? and that will make my tires lean in or out and look stupid
Yes, your front end won't align.

3 components to alignment are camber caster and toe. Your camber is the degree that your tires lean in or out, and that's what will not align with a 3" spring making your tires wear on the inside.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i have 2/5 drop mcg 2" coils up front ground force leafs in the rear with block removed. I have 295/35/24 tires i have to tie wrap my inner liners in the front to keep them from rubbing but that was it. I getting rid of the 24's next week to put factory 20's and get smaller tires and lower it more i want it on the ground.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
it's a western chassis with 6" flip kit and 3" coils. you'll probably end up at 7" though unless it includes a lift shackles. good luck with 3" coils riding good. also need some shocks with that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so it won't ride good but is it true what the other guy said about not being able to align i wont mind if its a little off

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
what the other guy said about not being able to align i wont mind if its a little off
Yes it's true, 3" spring will likely sag to 3.5" because it's poor quality.
You won't care if the alignment is off? You would like to replace those 24" tires every 8000 miles because you can't pull camber in? One set of those expensive ass tires and you'll pay for a REAL drop kit twice over.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
yeah thats true guess i will go with the good one thanks
yea don't cheap out. you get what you pay for. why would a company sell a almost complete kit for that other companies just sell 1 piece of the puzzle for the same price. don't be cheap and do it right.

·
Vendor
2,493 Posts
4/7 drop drop kit i give the cheapest around shipped. And aligns perfectly. I have sold well over 40 4/7 drop kits on here for the nnbs no problem.

actaully silveradojohnny from here bought a kit from me last week got it in 2 days and put it in this weekend. Truck aligned perfectly and rides great. You should pm him because he was very happy and im sure you would be also.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
4/7 drop drop kit i give the cheapest around shipped. And aligns perfectly. I have sold well over 40 4/7 drop kits on here for the nnbs no problem.

actaully silveradojohnny from here bought a kit from me last week got it in 2 days and put it in this weekend. Truck aligned perfectly and rides great. You should pm him because he was very happy and im sure you would be also.
I honestly cannot think of 6 people on here running the DJM on NNBS trucks

1 - 20 of 50 Posts