GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I want new shocks for my truck. The crappy fabtech ones have got to go. I've got a fabtech 6" IFS kit for my 2 door yukon 4wd. I've been told by samsoffroad and summitracing that rancho doesn't make any shocks for my application. Can anyone confirm that? I'd really like to get the rs9000s for they're adjustability. Another option would be a nice set of bilsteins. I would like to get the 5150s but I don't think they'd look good unless I get the dual shock hoops. After checking the bilstein website, I'm pretty sure I can get the 5100s but I would like to see what other options I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey Adam,
Caleb's got a nice setup. I'm wondering if I need to get fabtech's dual shock hoops in order to get the 5100s or can I run single 5100s in the front.
I've contacted several places (samsoffroad and summitracing) and I've been told that I can't get Rancho rs9000s for my application. I would love to get the rs9000s or the bilsteins.
I'm trying to learn more about suspension....so bear with me. Does the dual shock setup improve the ride quality at all? Is it worth the investment or is it more for show? I'd be willing to kick down a few hundy for them if they really improved the ride and handling of my truck. If I get the dual shock hoops, will I have more options for shocks? Anyone's help would greatly be appreciated and thanks ahead of time for any help.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
The poinbt of dual shocks is to spread out the heat buildup in a single shock to two shocks. A shock is simply a device taht convert the mechanical energy of the suspension movement into kinetic energy (heat). The bigger the shock (more oil in it) the more it takes to heat it up etc... Also resivours help keep a shock cool. The reason you want to keep a shock cool is because it fades (softens) when it heats up and can eventually fail. That is why desert racers etc.. have dual setups, to spread out the excessive heat buildup from desert racing. Do you need them? No, do they look cool? Yeah.

The thing is you have to get shocks that are properly valved for a dual setup, for instance if you put two stock shocks on the front of your Z-71, it would ride like a brick.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Adam and Stephen. You guys answered my questions. My truck's a daily driver and I don't go offroading, so I guess I'm gonna stick to single shocks up front. Hopefully I can get the Bilstein 5100s. Thanks again for all your help.
J

·
Registered
199 Posts
lokoh,

You might want to check with Jeff at Performance Lifts, one of GMFS's prefered vendors for the ranchos. I am not sure what the compatibility problem is with the fabtech kit, but if you install a 6 inch CST you still need shocks that have a different connection on the bottom, like the stock shocks. On Jeff's site it sez:

"PerformanceLifts.com is one of the only dealers that carries the specially modified RS9000X front shock absorber that this kit requires. "

SO if this is the case with the Fabtech lift, he should be able to help you out. Now if you decide to go duals, it shouldn't matter because the shocks are no longer mounted to the LCAs and you don't need the special mount.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
Sevenfold said:
Hey Jason. :bowtie:

I was over at KingZ71's house when he installed his Bilstein 5100s. He loves the ride so far and they look awesome.

:head: :head:
Why did you take off the tire to replace them, did you just feel like having more room? I dont think i'm going to need to do that with my rancho's

·
Registered
48 Posts
Kyle said:
Why did you take off the tire to replace them, did you just feel like having more room? I dont think i'm going to need to do that with my rancho's
Just did it to have the room. Could of done it with the tires on but it was easier and got some kewl pics with it.

Lokoh, this is what I did to find out what shock I could use for my truck. Call up Fabtech, ask for a technician. When you get to talk to him tell him you need to replace the shock that was sold in the kit. Give him your type of truck and year and tell him you have only one shock per wheel. Then ask him what the total extended length and the total compressed length on the shock.

Once you have this information you can call bilstein and talk to their technician. When you talk to him tell him you have the specs of a shock that you want to replace with a 5100 series shock. He should be able to find a shock that fits those requirements and be able to get you a part #. Once you have that part # you can call up venders and start asking if they have any in stock.

This is how I did my shock swap and it worked out great. Best of luck to you and take a bunch of pics with the install and the final product. :thumbsup:

Caleb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts