GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 02 silverado and i need to replace my front spring with my lowers springs. what is the best way (easiest way) to replace thim? i tried before by taking a lose lower control arm and shock but i could not get the spring out (HELP). Do you guys replace your shocks while you have it a lose? i have completed a 4 inch drop in rear with shackles and hangers. thank guys.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
make sure you put a jack under the LCA. take the shock off & bust the balljoints from the spindle. most of the time it takes a big hammer & some persueding. LOL!!!!

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
this is what ya do....turn wheel to which ever side it's easiest for you to swing a hammer..>normally to the right. then take the shock out, put the jack about an inch under the lower control arm, THEN! the fun part might i add. you think about what "someone" did to make you want to fight them, and swing! BAM after a few blows the control arm should seperate...if not then beat it some more.

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
a lot of work, if you are going with a smaller coil...it's easier to just be the ball joint from the spindle then taking the old one out, then replacing it with the new coil.

i dropped and raised my 97 so many times it's not funny anymore.

did a 4-6 on 22s...didnt like the front, did a 2-6 looked good..wish i could have done a 3-6 but i wrecked it a month later so it didnt really matter anymore.

good luck..it should take about a hour both sides.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just got done a few minutes ago putting a set of 3" drop springs on the front of my 2000 silverado. Before I bought this truck i had an obs truck and I could bust the ball joints loose, but on this truck I couldn't get them loose for the life of me. USAJAY38, in my honest opinion, undo the top shock bolt, put a jack under the control arms, and take the bolts out of the back of the lower control arm, then take the shock out completely, lower the jack, take the spring out, and reverse the process. It took me less then 30 minutes to do it this way per side.

·
Minitrucker
710 Posts
I just got done a few minutes ago putting a set of 3" drop springs on the front of my 2000 silverado. Before I bought this truck i had an obs truck and I could bust the ball joints loose, but on this truck I couldn't get them loose for the life of me. USAJAY38, in my honest opinion, undo the top shock bolt, put a jack under the control arms, and take the bolts out of the back of the lower control arm, then take the shock out completely, lower the jack, take the spring out, and reverse the process. It took me less then 30 minutes to do it this way per side.
:word: JUst did mine 30 minutes ago same way......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, i will try this weekend by taking a lose the rear of the control arm on right side and the other way on left side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts