GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-I have found a cheap LQ4 that lost a rod bearing. I can get the motor for a good deal-complete. I have a '03 1/2T 4wd 5.3 now. I use the heck out of my truck and thought the extra torque would be good for me. I am also due for a tranny(160K). What would you guys suggest? I want a nice driver that has some more power and I tow quite a bit with the truck(nothing too big>7000#). This is not a racetruck-a driver that needs to be dependable yet fun. I was thinking of an upgraded 4L60/65e along wiht the 6.0(any mods-cam?) then headers, exhaust and a SF14 bolt to go along with everything else. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Greg

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
You're on the right track, should be able to make 375rwhp with a ton of torque from 2000-4500rpm easily on a mild cam.

I'd just do a simple rebuild on it, once you check the bores see if you need new pistons. You probably will if the motor has high mileage, so since you don't need forged units I'm not sure what you'll want to do. There has to be a place to get hypereutectic units for not too much cash.

Reuse stock rods, they're forged. Just use ARP hardware. Clean the heads. Headers, build the trans. Doesn't have to be a full race unit.

9.5" SF is nice.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would go with the 4L65e because of all the towing.
As for the motor, just rebuild with a mild cam like a 216/220 which is mild for a 6.0. Then get headers, exhaust and a tune. You will be very satisfied with the 6.0 in place of your 5.3 minus the mpg.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I don't think he'll lose that much economy, it'll lug better at lower RRM with the additional torque.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
I don't think he'll lose that much economy, it'll lug better at lower RRM with the additional torque.
:word:

I've heard of guys getting the same if not better economy with a 6.0 vs. the 5.3 if they have a good tune. Looks like Hit Man has it all explained pretty well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would not know from first hand experience. However I am always over at performancetrucks forums too and many that have done the swap say this. But I guess you also have to take into consideration with such a power gain like this who would not have a heavier foot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts