GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, i have NO idea whats wrong w/ my truck :insane: i was going down the road when i step on the brake and hear a thumping noise, dont really think too much of it well as i went along it got gradually worse UNTIL.... i can not stand the creaking and the squeaking and the popping and everything...i have no idea what is going on, is it my shocks? my front diff.? i have notta clue...help!!! :bawl:

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
aight guy's i'm waiting for a reply...help!

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Where does it shound like it is coming from?

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i am 99.9% sure it is the front pass. side, because i had my g'f creep forward w/ me outside the truck and i had her step on the brake, and it made the popping noise

PS. sorry my post is so vague, not really too familiar w/ the front end of these trucks yet

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
Body mount. It happens when you put body lifts on...

But I'm not 99.9% sure of this. I know mine clunks all of the time when I'm turning corners sharp and pulling into driveways, hitting bumps, etc. All of the service managers and mechanics at work tell me its because theres a giant piece of plastic in between my frame and body instead of the rubber bushing that's supposed to be there...

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hope it is not the body lift, because it is very loud and annoying, and also sounds like the front end is going to fall out from under neath me
and its not just when i hit a bump its the whole time the truck is moving...

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Is it all the time, or just at slow speed?

Is it like a Clunk/Popping sound?

Back when I broke my front diff. and had to have it rebuilt, It was making a horrible Clunking/Popping when I was going slower. At highway speed it wasnt really bad b/c of road noise. But as slow speeds and in parking lots it was like I had a hammer in my diff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seems to me like if it happens when you hit the brakes then there might be something wrong with the rotors or other brake parts. If the front diff was busted wouldn't the noise only occur when its in 4 wheel? isn't it normally disengaged? maybe bearings too, just throwin out ideas here :think:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
We kept the rubber pads in on his bodylift like your suposed to :read:

It very well could be a shock also. Wheel bearings are something else to look at.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Check and make sure your caliper bolts are still there... I had the threads in my spindle in my old truck strip and lost a caliper bolt on the pass side. When I hit the brakes the caliper would flip up and hit the wheel and make the truck pull hard, make all kinds of bangs and clunks, and jerk all over.

·
6,656 Posts
I know, but you can see if they are bad abnd if so get a new hub. $$$

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
Shift said:
Body mount. It happens when you put body lifts on...

But I'm not 99.9% sure of this. I know mine clunks all of the time when I'm turning corners sharp and pulling into driveways, hitting bumps, etc. All of the service managers and mechanics at work tell me its because theres a giant piece of plastic in between my frame and body instead of the rubber bushing that's supposed to be there...
I kinda have that, but onyl when it rains, i'm pretty sure i've narrowed it down to that body block.

If your problems is only when pushing the brake, and your right tire and left front tires look very similar, its probably the brakes. Take off your tires and take a look

·
6,656 Posts
I know there is locktite on them because I put it there :crazy:

They could haev come loose, anything is possible, worth checking.

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok guys, figured it out today on my way to my auto tech class when i turn the last corner and BAM it lets loose, babied it down the road and long story short find out my wheel bearing case cracked open and they all were gone except for 3, and it ruined the spindle and the hub... :bawl: $$ but i did get to use our school discount so saved like 80 bucks :head:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
well, thats a shitty way to figure it out...but i guess it could have been worse...

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
I JUST replaced my hubs about a week ago because I was having similar probs and I discovered the hub bearings were shot. The hubs were about $182 total for each. Not bad considering the bearings are already pressed in and ready to go.

MotoHead

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Final (almost) verdict... new hub assembly 200 bucks, new spindle 150 bucks, new ball joints, 80 bucks...and it is all going back together monday in class...would have it done sooner, but that just happened to be where i was when it gave out...and its not going anywhere....so i guess i'm just stuck driving my moms convertible around...awww poor me... :crazy:

PS...what is the easiest way to get the upper ball joint in, we were having trouble keeping it straight when we tried to press it in

1 - 20 of 20 Posts