GMC Truck Forum banner

help on exhaust change

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  jebx 
#1 ·
I'm looking to change around my exhaust system to get max loud and sound out of it. Currently, I have a 95 Z71 (350 TBI) with a Y-Pipe, cadalytic converter, no muffler into duals... My plan is to cut off my catalytic converter, replace the pipe there, and put on a turbo muffler from NAPA...In TN, not having a catalytic converter is illegal, but who cares. I just want to make the exhaust alot louder overall. With the setup I have now, it is low and growly.. Sounds good, but not loud enough. Need help, thanks again.

#3 ·
how about just run straight headers...it will be plenty loud, low backpressure, high horse power, lowered torque, not as much throttle response or anything else, but loud as hell

#4 ·
Dark Eternal, You MUST be kidding! That is F****** crazy!!! ahh! Oh well, I'll just call into the police station and ask about it. Glasspacks are illegal in Gtown, mainly because it is filled up with stuck up rich folks and soccer moms. I appreciate that info. I'm definitely going to have to check that out, ill be sure to let you know also.

Loki, I doubt I will have the money to do something like that. Too much work involved into putting headers in etc. also. I don't want it louder that bad, but If i can do this exhause change, and it works I'll definitely be happy! I don't think my truck is able to lose anymore throttle response anyways, not to diss on chevy. We all know how slow the TBI's are :naughty:

#6 ·
Stu Meat said:
Ive got 2 glasspacks with no cats and it dont get much louder than that without sounding like shit. Im bout to change the exhaust once i get some $$
Stu Meat, I don't suppose you have a sound clip of your truck? Is there any way you can describe it? Loud and growly, loud and pops or? I appreciate your input, thanks again

sp

#8 ·
No I dont, but it a loud motherfucker! Loud and growly is how i would describe it.
Thats badass. Is it the type of loud, that you can't really talk inside your truck with the windows down? Does it pop alot when you really step on it? Thanks for your input. Sorry for all the Q's, it's just, your running the same setup I'm about to run. Peace

sp

#11 ·
Southern Pride said:
Thats badass. Is it the type of loud, that you can't really talk inside your truck with the windows down? Does it pop alot when you really step on it? Thanks for your input. Sorry for all the Q's, it's just, your running the same setup I'm about to run. Peace

sp
It gives a deep rumble when I really floor it, i never cruise with the windows down unless I need to air the truck out :mexsmoke: heh. Anyways....I usually turn the stereo up when I'm driving cause it can get annoying hearing the exhaust for long periods of time.

#12 ·
Southern Pride said:
Dark Eternal, You MUST be kidding! That is F****** crazy!!! ahh! Oh well, I'll just call into the police station and ask about it. Glasspacks are illegal in Gtown, mainly because it is filled up with stuck up rich folks and soccer moms. I appreciate that info. I'm definitely going to have to check that out, ill be sure to let you know also.

Loki, I doubt I will have the money to do something like that. Too much work involved into putting headers in etc. also. I don't want it louder that bad, but If i can do this exhause change, and it works I'll definitely be happy! I don't think my truck is able to lose anymore throttle response anyways, not to diss on chevy. We all know how slow the TBI's are :naughty:

The catalytic convertor is required by Federal law. It does not vary from state to state. The fine here if a shop gets caught removing them is $40,000.

Too much work involved for putting headers on? It shouldn't take anyone more than 2 hours to do it on a TBI truck.

My old, slow TBI seems to hold its own. :whyme:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.