GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I got a 1995 Chevy k1500 that has the usual cab corner rust holes. Now in a perfect world I would order replacement panels, weld and prime/paint. I just don't have the funds for that or welders, and even if I did the truck is still 19 years old and has high mileage.

I am looking basically to get a cheap repair that will make the truck look decent and last for a bit. Main concern is I am in Michigan.

Anyways, I thought about using an old door I have to cut some metal pieces to fiberglass in place rather than weld. But with the contour of the truck, that would be very difficult to match.

I know about the wire mesh that you can get for Bondo to adhere to, and that would be easier to shape but was wondering about anything that may be easier/better.

I seen the video by DipYourCar showing the vinyl patch, but Im afraid my holes are much to large for that. What I plan to do, is get the rust fixed enough to just plasti dip from the trim line down. If anyone on here has some suggestions on how to take care of this enough to plasti dip the bottom and make it look pretty good, I would appreciate it.

Only other suggestion I got, was to just spray the plasti dip as is and it would help to "camouflage" the holes, but would that even stick to that rust?.

I wish I could do it properly, but the money just isn't there and I want the truck to not look so rusty. Im doing it for myself, not to trick anyone buying it or something like that.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
you can get the rocker panels to replace for like $50 and then make the seam behind your molding and then just spray bomb it with paint that is your color code

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
its just like black rubberized paint. my rockers/cab corners are pretty rough and on white looked terrible. this cleaned it up for cheap, doesn't fix anything though.
DSC_0504_zpsokncjgq1.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats pretty much what Im after. Cheaper the better at the moment. What brand did you use and where did you get it?

Also, for prep did you sand it down and prime then spray? Ive heard plasti dip won't stick to rust, but will this stuff?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I just taped it off gave a quick scuff with 400 grit and sprayed it, I used unival rubberized undercoat, doubt you'll find it in the states cause ive only found it at Home Hardware which Im pretty sure is a Canadian chain but you should be able to find something at walmart or something. Its great to use on frame/axles etc too. plan on 5-6 cans if you want to do whole under carriage.
undercoat_zpsb32f2842.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, Thanks. Ill look around. I just hope it wouldn't look to bad if I went from the trim down. Although I guess newer trucks have similar styles on them as well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,691 Posts
Your links don't work. Any bed liner or undercoating will work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are the images. Top one is the more expensive. I think the only difference in the "professional" one is extra sound deadening?

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just pick up the cheaper of the two, either one will work for what you want

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last question….. Would the undercoat be better than bed liner? I was doing some more looking around and seen conflicting things for both. Also, seen someone saying the undercoating never dries properly and they noticed black on their pants that dragged on the bottom of the rocker?

Seems to me that the bed liner and rubberized undercoating are very similar.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,691 Posts
It won't make any difference. Depends on the undercoating but most don't stay tacky like the past

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did my rear bumper with some rust oleum truck bed coating. Bumper turned out good except the bottom underside where it was rotting/peeling. Still looks better though. Getting some more to go ahead and do my sides from trim down. My only concern is if it will take. I'm going to sand as good as I can but there isn't much good metal left, will I have problems with the bed liner sticking or flaking off? I just don't want it looking worse than it already does.

I put 2 coats on the bumper but I'm gonna do 3-4 on the sides. It says you can redcoats after 24 hours, but can you recoat after say a couple months if it needs touch up? Thanks guys, you have been a big help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts