GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black truck so of course the imperfections in the paint stand out. i have accumulated a few scratches, some are light and im able to buff out with products like scratch remover, but other are a bit deeper, any idea on getting those out or is repainting from a body shop the only salution? :(

I also have some light light scratches on my plastic tail-lights? can those be fixed at all? they arent really noticable so im not worried about it.

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
I feel your pain...I think someone at the dealership tried to use a buffer on my truck and didn't know what they were doing. I have really bad spider web looking scratches all over the front end and and my doors. I've used Meguiar's Scratch-X a couple times right before I wax my truck. Looks really awesome right after I use this, but it's a bitch to apply plus it doesn't last more than one or two washes before it's back looking the way it was. I've heard really good things about Zaino wax, but it's sort of expensive and can only be ordered online. Also, I can't remember who it was on here, but someone was using something called butterwax (or something like) but I'm not sure if it takes care of scratches.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Zaino is a very good wax system, but it is very pricey.

Check here for some pretty impressive photos.

I use this on my Trans Am, but haven't had a chance to use it on the Yukon yet.

Here is a better picture of my car. This is with just the first step Z5 only.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I've used 3M scratch remover on my truck for scratches i get from branches offroad, and it seems to a pretty nice job. Its made specially for dark paint. I put it on a couple weeks ago and put a coat of wax over it and it looks alot better, but they are definitly not gone. Deep scratches are pretty tough to get rid of.

·
Registered
559 Posts
ive actually removed a really deep scratch on my truck before,all i did was dab a TINY bit of black touch-up paint on the spot,then i took touch-up clear coat and ran it over the scratch. waited a day to dry then LIGHTLY wet sanded with 2000 grit wetsand paper and then buffed it out,i swear to god u cannot tell anything every happened,but if anyone does this be carefull cuz it is very easy to mess up the paint surrounding the area.they did a tech spot on this on an old popular hotrodding episode a year or so back

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
The 3m stuff whiffbat mentioned is what i use on my black truck and i was able to buff a scatch that ran clear down the front fender from a tree that fell on it with this stuff. Its called 3m filling glaze.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Stu Meat said:
barbed wire is a bitch.
Yeah that and having a horse bite off your paint too. That is kinda a hard one to cover up.

·
Good Ash, or Bad Ash?
157 Posts
I feel your pain Black Chrome- just went through this with my GFs Black Monte Carlo SS. SOme jerkoff at the dealer looked like they ran a dry buffer over the hood... :nono: So, last weekend, she took the 12" buffer to it with Meguires Professional scratch and swirl remover (number 8 I think). Took a few hours, but then she applied about 5 coats of NXT wax and I swear, you can't tell there was ever any scratches in the paint! Looks perfect. With time and patience (neither of which I'm good at), anything is possible... Good luck! :rocking:

-Owen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts