GMC Truck Forum banner

Help! - Selecting new muffler for SBC

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dickbob1992 
#1 ·
Looking for new mufflers to install on my '62 C10. Truck has a 283 with a cam and head work, headers, and 2.25" true dual pipes with a 12" glasspack on each side. Exhaust ends under the bed just after the cab and is VERY loud. I would like to keep all of the existing tubing that I can and just replace the glasspacks. Ground clearance is an issue, but a 4" tall round or oval unit would fit fine pending my measurements are sound.

Here are my options:
2 x Magnaflow Oval body 4x9" case 14" length
2 x Magnaflow Oval body 4x9" case 18" length
2 x Magnaflow 4" Round body 14" length
2 x Magnaflow 4" Round body 14" length
2 x Dynomax Bullets

I'm wanting good sound, this is a hot rod after all. I do not like Flowmasters or chambered mufflers of the like. The drone is not my favorite. From what I have read the Magnaflow Oval mufflers are quieter than their round equivalent. Sounds right but does anyone have any comment on this? I'm scared to choose a length and have it be too loud still or too quiet.

Any opinions?

And if I have 2.25" exhaust tubing would I order 2.25" In/Out sized mufflers? Are they flared to fit from the factory? Or do I order 2" to slip inside or 2.5" to slip over?

See less See more
#2 ·
the mufflers will slip over existing pipes. best bet would be to check out you tube. the resonance (loudness) is most likely due to the dump location (under the bed). there is not much you can do outside of making a supertruck type of exhaust that sends it out the side just in front of the rear tire.

#3 ·
the mufflers will slip over existing pipes. best bet would be to check out you tube. the resonance (loudness) is most likely due to the dump location (under the bed). there is not much you can do outside of making a supertruck type of exhaust that sends it out the side just in front of the rear tire.
I'm not going to run the exhaust out the side of the bed, and I don't mind hearing it. Just deciding what level of muffler to put on for my desired sound.

I'm leaning towards the 14" oval mufflers as of now.

#4 ·
If the 12" glasspacks are too loud chances are the 4x14" rounds will be too. The ovals will sound good.

IDK if you're stuck on Magnaflow, but Borla makes a center/center oval. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Borla-40363-Muffler/dp/B000Q7KQHE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1407971929&sr=1-1&keywords=borla+40363#productDetails[/ame]

#5 ·
i had a pypes race pro which is more or less like a 14" oval magnaflow on my old truck that had a 4.3l and had it dumped just before the axle and was fairly mellow at cruising and loud when you get on it. id say go for it. the oval makes the exhaust deeper sound then the round version because it has more volume inside the can. i'd sell it to you cheap but would you would have to make new pipes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.