GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, hope this isn't to much to ask for advice on first post. I was referred here by Jamgunner.

My 1998 GMC 1500 Sierra would not operate on Drive the other day and had to change the gears to L2 to keep driving. Then when I got home, I could not change gears back up to anything before L2 including Park. Although I can shift to L1.

Screwed as hell, I just tried to get the key out but it would only rotate back to the "Off" position which is not the "Lock position".

So basically now, I can't shift my transmission back up nor can I rotate the key (and start the engine). The key is also stuck in the ignition.

The transmission is automatic. Any ideas or simple fixes? Does this mean I need to replace the tranny?

EDIT:I just tried to check the transmission fluid, but after flipping the handle to unlock the rod, I can't even pull it out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your gear selector cable has come undone at the adjustment point. It has a set of serrated teeth that come out for adjustment. Whatever you do, please block the wheels before doing anything. Place the column in park then crawl underneath and place the tranny in park, then slide the adjustment clip back into place. Your problem is with the cable, not the transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. If this is the problem is there anything else I need to know? The only time I spend under my truck is when I change the oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts