GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some issues with the 5.3 in my 2000 GMC 1/2 ton Around 90,000 miles and never any trouble till now. - Looks to be water in the oil. A couple of weeks I noticed this and did a complete oil change with Mobil one (this is what I always use) and everything was fine and I checked it again today and it has a milky brown substance on the dipstick and it reads over a quart high.
The coolant level in the tank is at the proper level but I don't remember exactly where it was before. I am asumeing a head gasket. Any way to tell what side it is? I have not noticed any white smoke but it's been so cold it's hard to tell. How much of a job am I in for? Any suggestions?

Thx.
LK

·
Im walking on sunshine!
5,650 Posts
Is it milky white and foamy? I would do both heads if thats the case, Im not to sure on some of the newer trucks that have coolent runing through the TB but ive yet to hear a problem with those so.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Check-o the head-o gaskets-o

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Do a compression test see which cylinder is leaking.

·
Registered
215 Posts
you could always pull some spark plugs. if they are white i blive it is coolant getting into the cylinder. it could be your intake. those always go on dometic cars. chevy has the worst gasket. if you have it done get what they call the updated one. they have metal parts around the coolant passages. it sounds like it is more and intake leaking internaly

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would agree on intake manifold gasket!:guns: :think:

The 5.3 has no coolant running through the intake, They have a tube between the heads to transfer water from one side to the other. I changed the oil & started the truck, Still had good oil pressure and it was puffing out white smoke more than normal (on a cold day) so I am assumeing it's a head gasket, I'm going to start on it tomorrow. Will pull the plugs & see if any of them look different but I will replace both sides anyways while it's apart.

LK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts