GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Well I've been wanting to bag my truck forever, but finally decided that I really don't want to deal with the hassle of a DD bagged vehicle. So I'm gonna lift my 05 2wd sierra ext cab. Been looking at the 7" fabtech kit and air lockers for the rear, but was wondering what is involved in a prerunner suspension set up? Where can I find info/prices on prerunner suspensions?
TIA

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
but was wondering what is involved in a prerunner suspension set up?
...a lot of money.

CST makes a bolt on mid length travel suspension consisting of arms coils and spindles for our trucks, which is reasonably priced for what it is. After that you start getting into higher end stuff, first that comes to mind is camburg's 6" long travel kit, it's only a few grand for the front, your on your own for the rear.

If you wanted to take a road trip to FL I'll sell you all my shit for a couple grand:shrug:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If you could go with a non-long travel kit go with the Cognito 10-12" and fit 35s. Long travel I would probably start with the Camburg kit and just do a basic leaf lift out back. Keep in mind, you are also going to need 'glass fenders up front. If you are going to off-road a lot, don't go with more than 35s being that our 10-bolts aren't exactly bulletproof and front hubs tend to wear out also.

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spence;1400010 If you wanted to take a road trip to FL I'll sell you all my shit for a couple grand:shrug:[/QUOTE said:
Yeah prolly not gonna make that happen...lol.

I'll more than likely just go with a lift rather than a prerunner set up...I was just curious thats all.

So for thos that have fabtech lifts, how do they like them?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Go for a full drop kit only. It will keep balljoints and tie rods much more happy and last longer. Fabtech, Procomp, and RCD make a great 6-7" drop kit that you will not go wrong with :imo

·
Registered
220 Posts
if your gonna sell anything suspention related let me know. i have the same lift, i was gonna powder coat it but i dont wanna have trouble selling it later lol

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I've looked around at some of the above mentioned companies for long travel systems and holy crap they are expensive. :bawl: Looks like I'll be going with a fabtech kit...thanks everyone

·
Lifted 2wd club
1,137 Posts
Yes yes......long travel kits are expensive, and those are just bolt on (mild weld) kits. CST makes a good product which i thought about running for awhile, but figured id just do their 7" kit rather than long travel (dont really feel comfortable cutting off my spring pocket on my truck yet, if i was doing full prerunner, cage, bypasses front and rear, coilovers, axle trussing, the whole deal then yeah id probably either get the CST long travel or the Mazzula front end. Camburgs product is also a good suspension too. But theres a little more involved when building the front end of a truck. Gotta position the shock hoops or custom fab some up, cut the spring pocket off, then figure out what type of coilover you wanna run and the spring rating and if you throw some bypasses up front you have to mess with the valving, do alot of bracing and reinforcing to the frame and arm mounts (for safe measure), its alot of work but its a lot of fun havin a prerunner. I got myself a tacoma for that. But with the silverado im just gonna do the 7" kit prolly some 35's and flares in the front, build a custom front bumper/light bar for a few lights, and build a tire carrier in the rear (hell i might not even do that)....this is all mainly for the stance and mild off roading (even though a prerunner kicks out its track width almost 7" sometimes more.....anyways im rambling on, point is, there are lots of options for 2wd lifts, procomp, fabtech, cognito, full throttle. Pro comp and fabtech will be the most wallet friendly from what i have seen, and cognito and fullthrottle will put you in the air higher but will be some money. prolly about the same maybe a little more than the front CST long travel kit which you can prolly pick up for around 5g's

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well at this point I just have to find the cheapest place to buy the fabtech kit from...then it's on to wheels and tires (since my stockers will prolly look pretty silly on a 7in lift)

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^^Dayum thats a thick ass spindle^^^

·
Yes, it's a lifted 2WD!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so it looks like I'm going to need wheels and tires because they say my 17" stockers won't fit. I'm thinking 17s with 35s but not sure about bs and what tires are good for a dd???

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Just about any all-terrain. Justin got good mileage with his Nitto Terra Grapplers and there is also the Toyo Open Country A/T. If you want a mud terrain that rides well on street and lasts a long time (for a mud terrain) check out the Toyo Mud Terrain.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts