GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i am trying to get my rims clean, they are lookin pretty bad, water spots, corrosion the whole bit, and i can't get them clean, so i need some help the rims on my old truck were clear coated so i just soaped and rinsed
...these are my rims

i will get some pics of how bad mine are corroded as soon as my digi camera batteries get charged

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I used some stuff called blue magic a while back(worked okay) dont remember exactly it wasn't my stuff my friend had it, and i've tried this stuff called Luster Pad that my dad heard of from some guy at work, and it doesn't work that well either

·
Registered
183 Posts
I assume they are polished alluminum. If so buy some mothers mag/all metal polish in a red plastic tub. Also pic up the dremel polishing kit and a dremel if you don't have one. Use the polishing paste with the dremel polishing wheel. It will sling stuff everywhere, but don't worry, the paste will wash off when you are done (wash each wheel after polishing it before moving on to the next wheel). Wash the wheels with soap and water when they are cool to avoid tarnishing them faster than they will on their own.

Another product that works great is weanol. Search for it and you may want to try it.

EDIT: sorry it is spelled Wenol

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Another good one is called Xtreme metal polish, i picked up a can at discount tire for like 6 bucks, works great. Only problem is that polished aluminum wheels never look that good for long, ithink mine were back to looking crappy within 2 weeks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you can take the time to make them look perfect, have the tires taken off, polish them up again and zoop seal them. Zoop is available at jegs.com

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i finally got time to go buy some mothers polish and did a small portion of one of my worse lookin wheels

Look towards the top, and a little to the right and you can see the difference, much better in person. This aint a very good pic i will get more later, thanks for all the help

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, been tryin to knock it out a little bit at a time, i dont have that much time and it takes FOREVER, a guy at school today told me to put polish on all 4 wheels, let it sit, then just wash it off...does that work?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Bad-N-Black00 said:
Yep, been tryin to knock it out a little bit at a time, i dont have that much time and it takes FOREVER, a guy at school today told me to put polish on all 4 wheels, let it sit, then just wash it off...does that work?
If you want to make a pasty mess, sure :grin: to make them shine is going to take some elbow grease.

·
DWS Division.
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aight man, sounded too good to be true :bawl: guess i'm just gonna have to bust my butt for a while.....u guys have any tips be sure to tell me

·
[>
3,255 Posts
therealgeronimo said:
If you can take the time to make them look perfect, have the tires taken off, polish them up again and zoop seal them. Zoop is available at jegs.com
Sorry Im not a big on cleaning and stuff.. but what does that stuff do?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Zoop seal is a sealer for aluminum that prevents it from oxidizing. In other words it doesn't turn as if it had been out in the elements with out it. It tends to last 2 1/2 to 3 years with on aplication. Whatever it is applied to has to be polished perfectly to use or else you will seal a bad finish that will look like crap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts