GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was dumb enough to let my friend (he has his permit, but it expired ~ 2 years ago, he should have his license, but that's a different story) drive my truck. Anyway, he ended up running into a summit white quadrasteer (i have summit white in bulk) and hit the tire, picked the back of the truck up, and scuffed the bed. Since the bed's fiberglass it flexed and left no damage, but the paint is black in about a 3 * 9 inch spot. The scuff comes off w/ a little rubbing, but is yellow underneath. We opted not to call the police, just traded information and left. There is absolutely no damage to my truck, but I told the guy I would get his bed taken care of. Can his paint be fixed? If it needs to be repainted then we either need to drop cash for it, or tell my dad (aka get my ass whooped). Can the yellow be polished out? What do I need to fix it. I have a da sander and 4 different grade pads and a polish, cutting polish, and some other compounds. What should I go buy that can fix it if anything?

TIA

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I would say the yellow could be primer or some base coat to the paint, but since you said theres no damage, I'm not sure what it could be. Is the black mark just from the tire? Paint transfer or the like can be removed w/ clay. Not sure what youre rubbing it with, just make sure its being done as carefully as possible. Since you already have the pc, pads and polishes, I would say to start off with your least agressive product and then reassess the situation after determining what, if any, results were achieved w/ that. Give it a shot to fix it... dont have much to lose since it might need a respray in that area anyway.
Sorry, I'm not more specific....its hard to guess at whats wrong and how to fix it w/o seeing it up close. ANy way to get a pic? or describe it a little better?

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts
1. You're friend is a stupid fucking douchebag.

2. The bed is NOT fiberglass, it's ABS plastic and needs to be treated accordingly when buffing/polishing because it will fuck up easy.

3. I'm SURE something else is fucked up. It's really hard to smash into a Quadrasteer axle and NOT break or bend shit :nono:

quad_exp.jpg

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
werd, 88-98 stepsides were fiberglass, but 99+ stepsides and qsteer beds are plastic....

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, abs then. my bad. yes, my friend is an idiot, and i'm f*cking retarded for letting someone else drive my truck. by yellow i mean its the white paint w/ a yellow tint to it. His rear axle looked fine, it was a little tire/tire scrub from my friend going into the guy's lane. My alignment doesnt seem off, but i'll check it and his. What do you mean it needs to be treated accordingly? Do you polish paint that's on plastic differently than that of a fiberglass or metal panel? Oh, and they picked the black off by rubbing a fingernail on it.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
i think matt means plastic builds heat alot faster than metal, so be careful....i get what your syain about the yellow effect...try some rubbing compound or clay before polishes/compounds...

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts