GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been ponering the Idea on both.

I need to reduce bottoming out, and get a better ride and better traction at the same time. The stock leafs and flip kit isn't doing it for me anymore.

I already have a compressor, so I was thinking of adding the helper bags to help on the load, and I was also thinking that when aired up, I'd get better launches. Will helper bags help launches and what would they do with wheel hop.... would they make it better or worse.

I'd love to have coilovers all around on my ride, especially in the back. The only problem is $$$ for them. Would I have to do a bed cut through to run these? Are there many options to a rear coil over setup for this truck?

any suggestions would be great.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Well I dunno about airing up to get better launches .. if you look at drag cars, usually the back end is as low as they can get it and the front end is up, for weight transfer ....

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well yeah. Coil overs are way expensive. I bottom out on the bed supports and notches when I have any sort of load in the bed.

For better launches, you basically want little to no suspension compression in the rear and the front as loose as possible to get the front end to lift and transfer the weight to the rear wheels and get the tires to plant on the ground.

I am leaning towards the helper bags since I got a compressor for free. Ill probably add the 2" shackles to my drop and run the bags with a little bit of air in them at all times...

do you guys with helper bags only air them up for carrying a load, or do you run them at a certain PSI constantly?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use the helper bags on my truck. They are cool for load carrying! :head:

The only issue I've had is the clamps on the leaf springs work loose. I changed it a little and use large hose clamps instead. They work well!
I keep 5-10 lbs when not hauling. I only need to put 30 lbs in them to haul my 400lb quad. :rocking:

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Chris99GMC said:
well yeah. Coil overs are way expensive. I bottom out on the bed supports and notches when I have any sort of load in the bed.
Are you at a 6" rear drop?

What shocks do you have? I never bottomed out on anything when only at 6". When i went to an 8" rear drop i would hit the bed support every now and then but never touched the bottom of the notches...and i don't think it would be possible to bottom out on the notch with that bed support there unless you were almost hitting a side (like flexing on an incline).

There is no reason to be bottoming out with only a 6" drop in the rear...The only reason i can think for bottoming out would be having really crappy shocks or something :imo

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Y2KSierra said:
Are you at a 6" rear drop?

What shocks do you have? I never bottomed out on anything when only at 6". When i went to an 8" rear drop i would hit the bed support every now and then but never touched the bottom of the notches...and i don't think it would be possible to bottom out on the notch with that bed support there unless you were almost hitting a side (like flexing on an incline).

There is no reason to be bottoming out with only a 6" drop in the rear...The only reason i can think for bottoming out would be having really crappy shocks or something :imo
Werd I've never bottomed out with my notch either. Of course I don't haul any loads or anything either.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
03Carbondogg said:
Werd I've never bottomed out with my notch either. Of course I don't haul any loads or anything either.

Street Bike + Really Shitty freeways + My Lead foot = Bottoming out sometimes.

I really should Notch my bed support. It is dented right now, and obvious that there are clearance issues there, But I'd still like to get rid of my wheel hop.

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
Hey Chris I'm running helper bags on my 6" drop OBS with no problems at all. When I have to haul anything I just air it up to 50 psi, and when I'm not any were between 5 - 10 psi. I still have to try fullthorttledan's idea on clamping the leaf spring pack together to get rid of the wheel hop.

·
Sunburnt or Drunk
153 Posts
i'm kinda looking to get helper bags too. i got a 6" drop in the rear and i bottom out quite a bit on the c-notch. i cut my bed support out and it still hits my notch. how big of a c-notch do you guys have on yours? mine is about a 2" notch maybe thats the problem....???

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
I don't know but you guys have NBS and I have OBS don't know if that really matters. My c-notch is the standard Belltech notch.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1buda said:
Hey Chris I'm running helper bags on my 6" drop OBS with no problems at all. When I have to haul anything I just air it up to 50 psi, and when I'm not any were between 5 - 10 psi. I still have to try fullthorttledan's idea on clamping the leaf spring pack together to get rid of the wheel hop.

Yeah... SO I went out and bought a pair of those 'cheapy' clamps, and I took them out of the box and went to bolt them up.... the Freaking clamps were too small and wouln't fit around the overload leaf. I guess they are universal. Either way, they sucked the big one and I took them back. They weren't even made from grade 8.... closer to aluminum if u ask me.

I really couldn't imagine that clamping the front of the overload leaf would help that much.. they are still leaf springs.

·
Registered
930 Posts
im debating on some helper bags, i think they are slamair, cause i bottom out daily :crazy: . im running a flip kit and 2" shackles and hit like a mofo.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
blueice said:
im debating on some helper bags, i think they are slamair, cause i bottom out daily :crazy: . im running a flip kit and 2" shackles and hit like a mofo.
Why not just use the holes for a 1" shackle drop if you have them and raise your backup some, your truck has always looked like the back was lower than the front anyways :read:

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
I couldn't find these clamps anywhere. fullthorttledan said his are homemade with 1/4" steel. I've got all the plates cut out, holes drilled, grade 8 bolts & nuts just waiting for some time to install them. It's a cheap mod and Dan drag races his truck with them on. :crazy: Will see what happens once I get them on.

·
Registered
930 Posts
bcubed said:
Why not just use the holes for a 1" shackle drop if you have them and raise your backup some, your truck has always looked like the back was lower than the front anyways :read:
its completly level now :read:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts