GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just dont understand how the People at Chrysler can squeeze 425 HP out of the hemi and GM can't get anywhere near that unless you have something with a larger displacement. Can someone tell me why?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
hish engine made 425 hp?
I don't know much about the hemi engines but I can tell you real quick how to best 425 crank hp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know we can make more horses with lots of mods, but the hemis do it efficiently.425 HP! I know I could do lots of things to my engine, but I dont have that kinda money. I guess i am just jealous

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
I know we can make more horses with lots of mods, but the hemis do it efficiently.425 HP! I know I could do lots of things to my engine, but I dont have that kinda money. I guess i am just jealous
If thats wall you want is power then go buy a Chrysler product.

·
OG
1,498 Posts
I'd take an LS7 over a Hemi anyday :read:

But I get what you're saying. I guess it's all in the design of the heads :shrug:

I'm not really educated with engines, so what do I know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a friend with a hemi (rated at 345hp). I have a 2004 VHO(rated at 345hp). The hemi with tune, headers, exhaust, and CAI, makes 288hp to the ground. My truck with tune, cat-back exaust, and CAI, makes 325hp to the ground. This was done the same day on the same dyno. So if you want horsepower you buy a hemi and see what you get.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You couldn't pay me enough to buy a chrysler product! Ok what heads should i get to make more HP, but still get decent mileage?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
clearing your not really understanding anything here....Hemis's dont have a better flowing heads then a GM head....they are Hemi Heads..do you know what a Hemi is???

IF you want to squeeze mroe power out of ur yukon perhaps????? put a friggen cam in it and tune the piss outta it, beat a hemi all day long.

When referring to a 425hp hemi, you are talkign about the SRT motors...which run on high octane and are performance motors.....500hp LS7 N/A Z06 is in that pile...not a 4 door family yukon.

its like comparing car to a truck...literally

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
The 5.7L Hemi doesn't make 425hp. The 6.1L Hemi makes 425hp (cars only, no truck apps). Compared to the 6.2L @ 403hp (in trucks) or the 6.0L LS2 @ 400hp, or the 7.0L @ 505hp.

Minor differences at similar displacement. And everyone knows Chevy's will mod better.... :)

-bZj

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I drove a few of the Hemi trucks when they came out, it's not a bad motor.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
the hemi's are thirstly little devils too LOL... seems the 4.7's get worse mileage normally than a LQ4/9

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
the Hemi has good power but its a gas hog especially in Dodge's heavy ass pigs. Like down8 said the 6.1 makes 425 and our 6.2 makes 403 basically untuned if you think about it because everything that GM knocks down from the factory. Tuned 6.2s and ls2s are putting close to 400 to the wheels. Dont get me wrong the 6.1 hemi is a badass engine but when there are 5.3s out there making close to the same at the crank then I could care less :kthxbynow:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I'm ready to see how much more power is lost with a six speed auto behind the GM motors...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do understand, I am not saying that the Hemis HP is strictly due to the heads. I suppose that I went on a tangent. I was wondering what heads, cams etc.. i could get to make more HP, but still retain mileage. I know that I need a tune, an FIPK and more freely flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
the hemi's are thirstly little devils too LOL... seems the 4.7's get worse mileage normally than a LQ4/9
It gets WAAY worse gas mileage. My buddy averages 12-14 ALL HIGHWAY. He now gets 10 mpg all highway with 35's.

He has a 2002 quad cab 4.7L

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would love to be able to be able to spank one of those jeep srt8. That would be sweet! At the same time I would like to be able to afford to drive my car. I am not a rich man, I just feel like the Gm products are superior in every way except stock HP. I would feel good to pull up to a stoplight next to one of those and smoke it!

·
Registered
603 Posts
dodge is lying with their numbers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts