GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DE or anyone else that knows
whats the best way to get the front axle u-joints out of the axle? they are alread out of my truck
a pic would be very helpful

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
well the best way is to use a press but ill assume you dont have that.

First of all make sure to take all of your snap rings out. Without them off, it wont go anywhere. Some have the ones on the caps while others are on the joint (the c style ones)

Next you get yourself a hammer and a big socket and then a brass drift or my favorite - a half in dricve extension. make sure your big socket is bigger than the cap of the u joint.

Put the socket on the ground, and usiong wood blocks or whaetver prop teh shaft so that the yolk is resting on the socket, with the cap of teh u joint inside the socket, so when its pushed out, it goes into the socket. This kind of soudns confusing, so if you dont get it ask. What your trying to do is make it so when you hitt he other side with the hammer and drive extension, you press the oposit cap out and into the socket. The socket is simply acting as a brace. Obvisouly the next step is to beat on the cap until you knock the oposit one out. Then flip it over and do the same. You can then seperate teh stub shaft from the long shaft, and use the same process to remove the joint from whaetver half you have it still on.

You can reinstal the same way but be carefull not to loose the needle bearings. Make sure to use enough grease in them if they are sealed, and if they arnt still use enough grease to hold teh needle bearings in and then fill it up by the zerk once you have it installed.

If you still need help, I can take pictures tonight, I have a u joint in my shaft I need to change anyways.

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok man that makes sense
i am going to try and do them tonight after my baseball game if not i will be doing it tomorrow
thanks for the advise

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Or an easier way...

Take the snap rings out. Hold a yoke in your hand and strike the yoke between the shaft and one of the caps of the u-joints with a hard faced hammer. The cap should walk right out. This was taught to me by an old timer driveshaft builder, works great unless the caps are completely rusted to the shaft.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
mine are always to fawked for that to work, but ive done that on nice clean 2wd trucks before.

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya nothing will work

im going to get them pressed out tomorrow i guess
i really wanna get this shit together so i can get my 37's on :D , picked them up today
and hopefully my last part will come in tomorrow cause advanced has fucked up twice on one part

·
RIP Jason Payne
1,824 Posts
I did mine tonight man, it just took alot of hammer pounding. Took a couple of hours but I got'er done. But this is on a 96, and since your state probably see's snow you probably have lots of rust like I did, except several years more. Good luck. :hack:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts