GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GM bit-size owner
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so heres the scoop. I've gotten an idea recently for a new product. I have a soft tonneau, love having a tonneau keep stuff dry and look good too. Don't like that i'm limited on the height of what I put under it, so a cap would be nice for that. problem is I can't stand driving with a cap all the time. So I came up with a diagram and some plans to solve my dilemma. It would be a hard tonneau that pops up into a cap when more height is needed. It would also be a tilt top tonneau to aid in access of the bed. what do you guys think about this idea? is this something you would buy? and how much would you be willing to pay for one? I think I'm gonna end up making a prototype for my own truck with some square aluminum piping I got when I took my old cap apart. why i'm asking is I'm considering making these and selling them and want to test the waters and see if there is enough of a market to make a profit and keep me busy making them.

P.S.- If I do decide to go into production with these I will be offering a pretty good discount for members on here.

·
GM bit-size owner
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has an opinion on this?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I dont know man. All you have to do is look around on this site. I have not seen one truck with a cap. IMO i would not buy it, just not interested in caps or toneau's either.

·
GM bit-size owner
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know man. All you have to do is look around on this site. I have not seen one truck with a cap. IMO i would not buy it, just not interested in caps or toneau's either.
Thanks for your input.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
I've honestly thought of running one of those soft-caps (like military/safari style), just for the space, but ease of collapsing it since I haul dirtbikes so often...

The pop-up idea sounds pretty innovative actually, but just wouldn't give me enough room for a dirt bike, not that a motorcycle needs to go under a cap either.

It's going to be a tough sell, even though I've never seen it before, but who knows, may be people out there looking for it, you just have to find them.
I think the hardest part for you will be constructing the tonneau to still have a lowish profile when collapsed. I don't think people will buy a tonneau that sticks up from the bed 5" or more... just something else to think about.
Good luck!

·
GM bit-size owner
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've honestly thought of running one of those soft-caps (like military/safari style), just for the space, but ease of collapsing it since I haul dirtbikes so often...

The pop-up idea sounds pretty innovative actually, but just wouldn't give me enough room for a dirt bike, not that a motorcycle needs to go under a cap either.

It's going to be a tough sell, even though I've never seen it before, but who knows, may be people out there looking for it, you just have to find them.
I think the hardest part for you will be constructing the tonneau to still have a lowish profile when collapsed. I don't think people will buy a tonneau that sticks up from the bed 5" or more... just something else to think about.
Good luck!
I've designed it so that when down it looks just like any other tonneau. it only sits about 1"-1.5" over the bed sides. I agree with the finding a market for it is gonna be hard, thats why I'm asking on here. I have a posting on fullsizechevy.com also so I can try to get as much input as possible. Also If my design works like I want it too, you should be able to remove the whole assembly off the truck easily. it should only weigh about 80 lbs. so you may need some help from a friend cause it's might be strange to move around by yourself.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. I personally am not in the market for any type of cover though. There is a market for anything. (You will find that out by lookign around the SEMA show...) Hope everything goes good and good luck.

·
GM bit-size owner
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a good idea. I personally am not in the market for any type of cover though. There is a market for anything. (You will find that out by lookign around the SEMA show...) Hope everything goes good and good luck.
Thanks I appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts