GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow, I must say that Stephen's SAS thread convinced me to join. I just read every post of all 41 pages. It took me awhile and was well worth it. Im still having a hard time believeing he's only 19. And where did all that $$$ come from :think: . But thats beside the point. He has reconfirmed my exact thoughts when I bought my truck. I will NEVER EVER lift my truck with an IFS kit. If my truck is ever lifted its gettin' a King Pin '60. I know a fair amount about mechanics for my age (19) but Stephen just WOW's me. Im confident I could perform all nessarcary tasks to do the SAS except fund it :D lol....

But anyway on to me. Im Kyle, im 19 years old I live 14 miles north of Austin, TX. I'm stoked about the amount of fellow Texas members on the board. Im a member of a few other boards with few Texas members. I've always wanted to meet up with fellow board members and now theres a few in driving distance :shake: I'm a welder in a machine/fabriction shop in a near-by town. Ive built my own rear bumper which I'll post pics of. I'll be finishing up my rock sliders tommorow morning. If intrested pictures will follow. My truck's factory towhooks weren't on the truck when I bought it but I designed some in an auto cad program and burned them out on a CNC burn table where I work. If theres any intrest in those I'll get pics of those as well. They arnt anything like the stockers except for the fact that they bolt up in the stock location.

Now on to my truck. Its a 1997 3/4 ton 4x4 Chyenne. Reg cab long bed. K&N filter dual 50 series FlowMasters, with 255/85r16 BFG MT KM's. For those that dont know it measures 33.9" tall, and 7.9 inches wide. Yes, Im taking a little different approach at building a 89+ Chevy truck. Im not doing the 265/285 thing. The 285's were waay outa budget and the 265's looked to small. These handled funny at 1st but are damn hard to beat for traction off-road. Ive only been stuck once and my doors wouldn't even open :D I want a particular brush gaurd for it but im seeing less and less of them and i cant find a new or used one for sale anywhere. I think its built by RanchHand. NO, its not a full replacement just a grille gaurd itself. Ill look for more pics later. If anyone has any info lemme know.

I'm always up for a meet with fellow truck guru's. Im always up for off-roading aswell. My only form of communication i have is Nextel or txt messaging. Nextel is 143*17926*7 if your in the Austin area and wanna meet up or need a mud recivery hit me up. You can also txt message me at 512-247-8025 I also can get emails at [email protected] aswell as the usual Y!messenger and AIM services. Thanx for reading. I have lotsa questions.

Kyle

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
Welcome to the site! :gmfs:

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
when i had my 95, i said i would never buy an IFS kit, and i would do a D60 SFA. live and learn. SFA isnt bad if you are gonna use it. for a daily driver, and weekend toy it is kinda a far extreme :imo im glad i didnt do it, i would have never been able to sell that bastard.

welcome to GMFS :rocking:

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree to a point. If I ever lift the truck it wont be over 5-7" if I can help it. I'm thinking 35" Krawlers with a 4" lift over stock hieght and a SAS D60 would be perfect for this truck. No rock crawling competitions or anything that extreme. Im a big fan of a high ground clearnce 4x4 with a low low center of gravity. My truck is shorter the a Ford Superduty 4x4 but has much much more clearnce at the lowest point on both trucks.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
CowboyKyle said:
I agree to a point. If I ever lift the truck it wont be over 5-7" if I can help it. I'm thinking 35" Krawlers with a 4" lift over stock hieght and a SAS D60 would be perfect for this truck. No rock crawling competitions or anything that extreme. Im a big fan of a high ground clearnce 4x4 with a low low center of gravity. My truck is shorter the a Ford Superduty 4x4 but has much much more clearnce at the lowest point on both trucks.
the krawlers look good, but wear like shit on the street. they arent or street use. i like SFA, ive done them before, but would never do one on a daily. :bowtie:

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 37" and 39.5" Krawlers are a super softy sticky as honey competition compound that do wear like doodoo. The 35 (r17R15) are the same compound as the BFG MT K/Ms. They should wear similar to the mud terrains. Im a long long ways away from SAS at this point but I want one bad tho, especially after reading Stephen's thread. Jason said that 73-87 rear 1/2 springs give 4" of lift when used in front and flex crazy. That'll prolly be the route I take when the time comes. I need a raise :whyme:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Welcome to the party! :drunk: I too am from Texas. :D

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx guys :shake:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.