GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does your truck ride? Should I buy drop leafs or remove the bottom leaf from my stockers? I already have air helper bags for towing. Just want another 2" drop in the back. I removed the oem 2" blocks and installed 2" Belltech shackles-which only gave me a 1" drop. So, so far I am down 3" in the back. What to do? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
well i have drop leafs but haven't put em on yet.

However, hotchkis' leafs are 4" of drop, and if you tow sometin, even with helper bags it seems a little rediculous with a 7" drop overall, and as ive read from members 7" in the rear is about as anyone would wanna go with nothing in the bed.

Dave

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
I have some drop leafs sittin in my room waitin to go on. I'm waiting for my edelbrock ias shocks to come in. I'll let you know in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I've got mcgaughys 2"ers and it's kinda bouncy but nothing I can't stand. Rides much better on a full tank than with low gas lol. Just to let you know my input insn't fully valid due to the fact that I still have stock shocks.

Sorry somewhat of a thread jack but if somebody could answer me this...I haven't cut my bumpstops with 4" of drop in the rear and I'm wondering if that might cause it to bounce more than if I'd cut em? Also I NEVER bottom out right now, if I do cut my bumpstops do you think it'll start bottoming out or do they have nothing to do with it? sorry for the newbness

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THREAD JACKER!!! AWWW, just kidding. Are you riding on your bump stops now? Cause if you are then you would have a rough ride as they are pretty stiff. I would cut them so you have 3-4 inches of travel before the axle woud hit. Or better yet, get some aftermarket bumpstops that are shorter, but more progressive. So far, I have cut about 1.5 inches off of my bumpstops and I hit them on rough roads if I'm going to fast.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I'm not riding bumpstops but only have 2-3" to spare. When I hooked my light trailer up with my mower on it the truck was sitting on the bumpstops. Who makes some good progressive stops? I think I'm just going to cut mine and see how it does then buy some new ones if I bottom alot. thanks for the help

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought my last set from Summit Racing. The were polyurathane 2" round ones. Theres also nitrogen filled bump stops that get stiffer the more compressed the are. But I don't thin we have enough room between the axle and frame to make this style work.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
alright thanks. I just went look at my truck and it is indeed sitting on the bumpstops but last time I checked I know I had at least 2" to spare. Maybe it has to do with me having a full tank and/or my springs setteling as they are pretty new? I'll have to cut them tomorrow and see how it does.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
well i cut one of the 3 notch things off the bumpstops and it's still sitting on them but the rear came down a little bit and it now sits perfectly level. Guess that means I'll have to notch it to get a better ride.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am thinking the same thing. I hate to cut my frame but I think it is going to have to happen.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
cut the bumpstops almost all of the way off..leave enough for a little padding..then drill some holes in them to make them more "cushiony"

and about drop leafs..you'll lose towing capacity and they'll bounce a good bit more than factory leafs..

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
well i cut one of the 3 notch things off the bumpstops and it's still sitting on them but the rear came down a little bit and it now sits perfectly level. Guess that means I'll have to notch it to get a better ride.
cut two or get the 1/4 inch thick ones...

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I'm running 4" hotchkis drop leafs and they ride pretty damn good. I'm running stock shocks though so I would imagine the ride could only get better since the shock are almost completely compressed. I like them alot though, but my axle always hits the frame on big speed bumps. I would definantly do leafs over hangers/shackles if I had to do it over again.

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
going baller status on the ias shocks...

Im straight napa monroes beotch.....haha
Yea them bitches are pretty expensive, but I'm goin for the best ride quality so why not right?

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
Cuz I got it from a guy in Lutcher and that's the kit that came off of his crew cab. If it's shitty then I'll just get some hangers.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
ah I see. Is it the McGaughy's kit? My ride quality is by no means shitty but it is a little bouncy...I didn't get shocks yet though.

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
ah I see. Is it the McGaughy's kit? My ride quality is by no means shitty but it is a little bouncy...I didn't get shocks yet though.
Yea it's McGaughys. 17+ spindles up front, 2" shackles, 2" leafs, bumpstops, and shock extenders out back. Plus I'll have the ias shocks too, so I'm thinkin it'll be a good ride.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts