GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove thru some high water yesterday after it poured down here in Houston. Anyways I made it to work(7:00AM), left out for lunch(11:30AM) and came back. I left home(5:00PM) and didn't notice any problems with my lights or it starting. It's around 8:30PM and I walk outside and notice my HID Low Beams are on. So i scratch my head and go double check the light switch and just turn them off, i know i didn't take them off auto. I start the truck and it sounded weak when starting. i turn it off after letting it run and lights stay off. so i go back inside and about 1 hour later i come back out and the mofo's are on again. So this time i do the same but i disconnected the relay harness from the battery so it wouldn't drain my battery. I think it's safe to say the relay harness might of gone bad with some water, but i want to get your opinion before i spend money on replacing it. It's just weird that it didn't start later on in the day and not while it was being driven. :think:
Anyone else had a problem like this using a relay setup?

Thanks

H11 Kit with a Relay harness.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
The water sounds like it did it. but like you said its wierd it didnt happen until night. but also that is when your headlights kick on auto becuase its dark. so maybe thats why. but that sucks. Ill be getting my h.i.ds this friday hopefully.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The water sounds like it did it. but like you said its wierd it didnt happen until night. but also that is when your headlights kick on auto becuase its dark. so maybe thats why. but that sucks. Ill be getting my h.i.ds this friday hopefully.
yea it was dark, but my DRL are always on during the day. and when the HID's were on, the truck was parked and turned off. :think:

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
yea it was dark, but my DRL are always on during the day. and when the HID's were on, the truck was parked and turned off. :think:
yea but your drl only are on when the truck is running and since the truck is running your charging your battery. Its still wierd, but that could be why but not 100% about it. You may just have to get a new relay. take the h.i.d ballest and stuff out on day and see if their is water damage or something.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea but your drl only are on when the truck is running and since the truck is running your charging your battery. Its still wierd, but that could be why but not 100% about it. You may just have to get a new relay. take the h.i.d ballest and stuff out on day and see if their is water damage or something.
We'll see, i left the harness unplugged for today also. Hopefully it dries and all is back to normal. i'm going to try it tonight again when i get home.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
We'll see, i left the harness unplugged for today also. Hopefully it dries and all is back to normal. i'm going to try it tonight again when i get home.
Is it easy to take out? if so take it out and rap it in a towel and put a heater close to it so it dries it out or somthing. That is what I do if I drop my phone into water or something. it works, but only sometimes.:crazy:

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it easy to take out? if so take it out and rap it in a towel and put a heater close to it so it dries it out or somthing. That is what I do if I drop my phone into water or something. it works, but only sometimes.:crazy:
It's easy, just unplug crap. i'll try that

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
does your relay smell burnt? i burnt one after driving through some water because the one they sent me was a super cheap crappy chinese one. i put a higher quality relay in and the problem went away. i need to do it with the relay i have no cause its starting to act up like my old relay did before i switched it

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
does your relay smell burnt? i burnt one after driving through some water because the one they sent me was a super cheap crappy chinese one. i put a higher quality relay in and the problem went away. i need to do it with the relay i have no cause its starting to act up like my old relay did before i switched it
What relay did you go with? Bosch? P/N?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Sounds like the relay is wet, not the actual wiring. Id try a new relay, I know autozone sells the same load relay they sell with the relay harnesses..... 3 or 4 dollars.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like the relay is wet, not the actual wiring. Id try a new relay, I know autozone sells the same load relay they sell with the relay harnesses..... 3 or 4 dollars.
and would that be a simple unplugging the old one and replugging the new one. i'll check with them later if not i found a local seller who sells the full kit.

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
Off topic but you need to pull your DRL fuses since you're running HIDs.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Yes, simply unplug the one relay and plug in the new one.

and he doesn't need to pull the DRL fuses because he is running a relay. Without a relay, the ballast would get low power because the headlight (DRL) signal is lower in the daytime and might cause one on them to not fire, because it is getting low power.

With a relay, all it needs is a signal from the headlight power and then it pulls power right from the battery, avoiding any underpowering issues.

Make sense?

I just pulled mine because I don't like the look of them on during the day :imo. But If you like them on all the time, there is no reason to pull the fuses.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Also, where is the relay mounted? Mine are up right by my battery, just wondering how they got wet?

Just go to autozone and go to where they have the ricer foglights and there should be some relays there that would work. They're the exact same specs as the ones they send with the Chinese kits.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, simply unplug the one relay and plug in the new one.

and he doesn't need to pull the DRL fuses because he is running a relay. Without a relay, the ballast would get low power because the headlight (DRL) signal is lower in the daytime and might cause one on them to not fire, because it is getting low power.

With a relay, all it needs is a signal from the headlight power and then it pulls power right from the battery, avoiding any underpowering issues.

Make sense?

I just pulled mine because I don't like the look of them on during the day :imo. But If you like them on all the time, there is no reason to pull the fuses.
Thanks that makes sense, i don't mind them. although it would extend the life of the bulb. :hmm:

Also, where is the relay mounted? Mine are up right by my battery, just wondering how they got wet?

Just go to autozone and go to where they have the ricer foglights and there should be some relays there that would work. They're the exact same specs as the ones they send with the Chinese kits.
Thanks i'll stop by tonight and check Autozone out.
It's at the level of the passenger headlight not too far from the battery. I guess water must of splashed up, i did go fast on a few of the big puddles. :think:

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Yeah, I'd say its relay issue for sure, it might not even be water related, maybe just the cheap Chinese relay.

And I would definitly pull the fuses if you aren't intending to have them on all the time, you'd get more life out of them. BUT, its not required like it is if you weren't running a relay.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I'd say its relay issue for sure, it might not even be water related, maybe just the cheap Chinese relay.

And I would definitly pull the fuses if you aren't intending to have them on all the time, you'd get more life out of them. BUT, its not required like it is if you weren't running a relay.
If i pull the DRL fuse would that affect them coming on auto matically when it's dark. dumb question :crazy:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts