GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've never had a problem with my hid's until the other day. i have the auto headlights deactivated. it's only the driver's side headlight. i noticed the other night one was out and i turned them off and back on and they were both lit again. i tonight noticed when i was behind someone it was out again. i tried the off on method again and noticed in the reflection it would start to glow and then die. i tried this 3 times on 3 different off on methods before it lit back up on the 4th try. now later tonight it was off again and i couldn't get it to glow or light at all. sound like a bulb or a ballast?

·
I like 'em white
2,749 Posts
Easy way to find out is just switch the bulbs. If the Drivers side still doesnt work its the ballast, if the passanger side doesnt work its the bulb. Do you have them hooked to a harness? kinda sounds like its not getting enough juice for startup

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like ballast to me, do you have a relay wiring kit?
no relay wiring kit. what's the relay kit do?

Easy way to find out is just switch the bulbs. If the Drivers side still doesnt work its the ballast, if the passanger side doesnt work its the bulb. Do you have them hooked to a harness? kinda sounds like its not getting enough juice for startup
that is true. i should try that. i would think they should be getting enough juice because i turn them on after the truck is started.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
no relay wiring kit. what's the relay kit do?
Oh dude, you gotta be kidding me. Every HID thread talks about the relay kit :rofl2:

Instead of drawing power from the stock harness, the relay draws direct from the battery.

You NEED to do this because the ballast demands WAY more juice than your stock harness can provide.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I had the same problem with my fog HIDs and it turned out to be a bad ballast. When I get around to putting in HIDs in my fogs I am going with a relay harness for them. I knew I should of ordered one for the fogs as well. I bought one for the lows and not the fogs. Oh well live and learn.

·
NVG-149 FTW!
501 Posts
Oh dude, you gotta be kidding me. Every HID thread talks about the relay kit :rofl2:

Instead of drawing power from the stock harness, the relay draws direct from the battery.

You NEED to do this because the ballast demands WAY more juice than your stock harness can provide.
Totally just asked about this in another thread, what Relay Harness do you run Matt? I've got some junk one from eBay right now and its not worth two pennies. DDMTuning offers a $20 dollar harness that I might pick up if it's not a piece of shit.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm gonna swap the bulbs and see what happens. are just the bulbs replaceable? i know the ballasts are. maybe i'll change up the color. :think:

lol. i never go into hid threads. gimme a break. :crazy:
i've had these for probably a year give or take. i wouldn't think not having a relay would make it start doing it now after all this time. hmm.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks like the bulb is the problem. it looks funky, yellow and burnt. swapped bulbs too just to double check that it's not the ballast.
hmm. stick with 6k's?

·
Registered
283 Posts
hmmm i just noticed something on your bulb.... The higher quality bulbs have the following insulator colors on them: 6000K bulbs have a white insulator, 8000K have a blue insulator, 3000K/5000K have brown insulator. Looks like you had a 5000K bulb. Strange... I can get you quality replacement bulbs for 95 bucks if you would like (Rikensport brand)

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
go 5k:imo

ill probably go 5k if my bulbs blow... 1 ballast did blow though.:(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts