GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my HID kit installed and sometimes one side will go out when turning the truck on. All I have to do is turn them off and back on and then they're ok. I am guessing its the auto headlights that is doing it and was told by where I bought the kit I need a heavy duty harness but i thought HID uses less power? Also when the lights are on I don't get good reception from the radio there is more static most of the time. If I get aheavy duty harness will I need to rewire the headlights that would suck. I tried have the parking brake on when I start it to didable the auto headlight during start up but it doesn't disable them.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
it happened with my xenarcs all the time. You just don't have enough power for the initial startup. They use less power after you fire them up. Its like 10k watts or something like that that is needed to ignite the bulb. The ballast is just a transformer.

Radio reception shouldn't be affected though. Where did you mount your ballasts?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its mounted on the side of the core support just below the high beams

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your ballast are mounted in a good place, I dont know what your radio problem is. I would sugest a harness to power your lights btw its 22-25k volts at start-up they draw more amps than intended from stock headlight wires to make a new harness use relays and hook directly up to battery, if you want I can make a diagram for 9006 relay harness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have my HID kit installed and sometimes one side will go out when turning the truck on. All I have to do is turn them off and back on and then they're ok. I am guessing its the auto headlights that is doing it........
correct auto headlight in gm's just ignore it or start up with high beam on (recommended)

·
SC 6.0
588 Posts
Setting the parking brake on, will also not turn them on. I had the same thing happen to me so I started using my parking brake. As for your radio noise, did you cover the wires using wire loom? This is a great idea as well. I had a similar issue with my HID's, were you could hear a humming noise coming from the radio or so I thought. I just wire loomed the cables and it went away. No more issues. Hope this helps. I also mounted my ballast on the side of the core supports. The fogs I mounted just inside the fender in a small place.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
This could be from lack of power to the ignitor because the ignitors need more wattage to start the arc than halogen bulbs run at, but once ignited the arc can be maintained with less wattage than standard halogen. As ryan said, your system should be set up with a relay powering it switched by the oe headlight harness. If you stil have the same problem after switching to relays the issue could be a bad ignitor.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can get the harness from where I got the HID kit for $50. If this is drawing power directly from the battery does the switch on the dash still operate the same with the auto headlights.

I think the parking brake way of disabling the auto headlights was for pre 2003 trucks because it worked on my 2000 but this truck doesn't work and the manual says the auto headlights can only be disabled with the headlight switch on the dash after the trucks started.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
radio sounds like a poor ground to me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed the new upgraded harness and one or both lights will still go out when starting the truck when its dark out. I did notice the light don't flicker anymore. I tried starting it with the high beams on but it still made one side go out. If I turn them on and off after the truck is running they are fine they don't go out.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
i have a 2000 and the auto lights mess mine up to, day or night. I cant manually turn my lights on or off even with the dome override 6x trick. All i have to do is turn my headlights on before i start the truck and they both come on. A little inconvenient but running regular halogen bulbs just sucks

·
Registered
253 Posts
how do you have them wired up ? if you have DRL/auto headlights you need to use a relay wired from the battery/positive junction box to supply enough power for the HID to light up correctly. With a relay you use the stock headlight harness just to trigger the relay on/off, which in turn control the lights just like stock.

It sounds like you were running off stock wiring, which couldnt supply constant power for both to power up.

For those of you with autoheadlights that need to know how the wiring goes with relay, let me know Ill take some pic's before I go to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the harness like your and its wired to the battery power supply next to the engine like yours. I think it may be that my truck turns on the drls and reverse lights when I unlock it with the remote and its dark. This was added to the 03 and up trucks. I changed the settings and turned this feature off and so far so good. I think the Ballast is tripped when there is any type of power going to something like the drls when starting.

·
Registered
253 Posts
possibly, maybe the quick but short power from the lights flashing cause the ballasts to go into a protection mode or something, something it does when not enough constant power is being supplied :endofshow

for those of you experiencing radio issues. This is caused by the ballasts. There upping the voltage to like 20-30,000 volts... The ballast produce a decent size of electromagnetic field which is why the radio signal turns to shit on distant stations. The only real way of fixing it would be shielding the ballasts. Many electrical supply/plumbing stores carry a copper type shielding, although with the price of copper, this stuff isnt cheap. All I can recommend is listen to a cd or connect up an ipod for night driving :crazy:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It happened again last night, one light went out when turning it on I guess I will have to live with it. The drl disconnect didn't work like I thought it did. I am also still having problems with the lights flickering during the first 5 min they are on?

Thanks for the info about the radio reception. Its only on one distant station I listen to so I'll live with it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
have you tried switching the ballasts side to side (switch drive with pasenger one)? the ballast itself could be bad. only other thing I can say is check the ground on the side thats going out/not staying on. an easy way to check it is take a piece of speaker wire or any wire and hook it to the current ground and touch it to the engine and see if the light comes on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts