GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the HID options for an 01 GMC? I know a lot of people like the Sylvania Xenarcs, but they are only for Chevys, right? I have seen kits that fit into your existing reflectors but I have heard that it isn't a good thing to do because the stock reflectors aren't designed for HID. What's the deal?

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Do like EMD does...get yourself a pair of Denali projectors and an HID kit. It looks sweet :read:

I'm sure he can fill you in on the details...

·
WorkinSmarterNotHarder
450 Posts
:word: to what HumanZoon said. That seems like the best route. The stock headlamps give off a lot of glare with HIDs.

·
Steady Skate'in
195 Posts
Has anyone out there used HID's on the aftermarket projectors. I saw a set on Stylinconcepts for $199 and was thinking about getting them.

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
The general rule of thumb with aftermarket projectors are that they suck. :pow: I've haven't had any personal experience, but most of the guys on the board will agree. If you got the $$ get the OEM Denalis (if you have a GMC) or the Xenarcs (if you have a Chevy).

·
WorkinSmarterNotHarder
450 Posts
:word: I haven't heard anything good about aftermarket head lamps. OEM is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
YB_Average said:
Has anyone out there used HID's on the aftermarket projectors. I saw a set on Stylinconcepts for $199 and was thinking about getting them.
After market projectors suck ass :imo ! If you're gonna spend the money get OEM parts for GMC or Sylvania for Chevy.

I have the Sylvania x2020 headlights and the x1010 foglights... I love the HID!!! :hump: Like EMD's setup, quality OEM Denali projectors with a nice 4300k HID kit (or 5400k, 6000k, 8000k, "10000k" [bad idea] if you like the blue-purpleish colors). I recommend 4300k because it is the standard HID but also known as the best. 4300k (incase you didn't know) is what Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jag, Ferarri, etc etc etc. uses in their cars.

The Denali projectors will work great with an HID kit they won't melt like cheap aftermarket ones, just aim them nicely and you won't be disappointed! :driver: :D

·
i need a freak!!!
1,027 Posts
i have a set of aftermarket projectors...mine havent melted yet but im in the process of modifing a 9006 hi-beam bulb to fit in the projector...if i melt it ehh its cool...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
well, my in.pro carwear projector headlights AND matching corners both fucked up.. the headlights melted and the clear corners just broke apart.. pieces of shit!

Silverado - IntroWheels claims to get good performance with his stock housing with an HID kit... talk to him :imo

·
Chaoss
215 Posts
I have HID's from a Maxima on my Yukon and they are BRIGHT!!!
Those lights blind people and they think i have my high beams on. It really annoys them and I kinda feel bad but oh well.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Chaoss said:
I have HID's from a Maxima on my Yukon and they are BRIGHT!!!
Those lights blind people and they think i have my high beams on. It really annoys them and I kinda feel bad but oh well.
lol.. yea the maxima kits are nice, yea I kinda feel bad blinding people too (driving behind them too is bad), but ohwell... you could try aiming yours down a little if you havn't already. I happen to have this in a txt file on my desktop: :crazy:

1 On a flat, level surface, park the vehicle 25
feet from a vertical wall with your headlamps
shining on the wall.
2 Measure the distance from the ground to the
center of the headlamp.
3 Place a piece of tape on the wall at the same
height as the center of your headlamp.
4 With the low beams on, turn the vertical
adjuster with a Phillips screwdriver until the
bright horizontal line of light at the upper
edge of the beam pattern is just below the
tape on the wall.
• Pre-aim both sides.
5 Turn the horizontal adjuster until the left
edge of the hot spot is at approximately
10 inches to the left of straight on for
each individual lamp.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Well I have the Aftermarket Projectors.... but they are not actual HID's

Is this what you guys are asking about? I know that These headlamps are good quality and OEM, but I also know that I can get better light out of them. I have the bulbs that they came with still in them :nono:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Chris99GMC said:
Well I have the Aftermarket Projectors....

....I know that These headlamps are good quality and OEM
Huh? They look OEM.. are they aftermarket or OEM? :think: Anyways, yea you can get some better bulbs that will help.. just make sure they aren't high wattage so they don't happen to melt up. HID's use less power than regular lights so they run cooler...

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i believe there are Xenarcs for 03 silverado's now...

chris99, HID stands for high intensity discharge.... although BMWs, benzs, and lexus use projectors for their HIDs, projectors are just a lenses that focuses the light... They usually have auto leveling and focusing features built into them too.... Projectors aren't HIDs. Your lights are still halogen

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
I've seen the Xenarc STYLE but they werent HID just the housing and it was like $300+ :crazy:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i've seen xenarcs for an 03... on fuck i forget his name's truck. unless he etched the xenarc logo on it for kicks...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts