GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have a hookup with a pair of HID lights out of a new Nissan Altima for cheap. Is there any way I could get them to fit into my truck? and what modifiactions would I have to do if they would fit.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
the most expensive part of HIDs are the power source. I'm sure u prbly could find a drop in set of HID bulbs. On my Xenarcs, the power source is mounted behind the light itself. I think bryan said he had his power sources mounted to his chasis

·
I am the Moderatonator!
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I understood him saying, that they were the whole HID light system. So if the came with the power source, would it basically be plug and play?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
The power source would plug right in but to take advantage of the HIDs you need a new housing if im not mistaking. You could thought just put in some HID bulbs into yours now for still decent results.

·
Banned
164 Posts
VicRed said:
I may have a hookup with a pair of HID lights out of a new Nissan Altima for cheap. Is there any way I could get them to fit into my truck? and what modifiactions would I have to do if they would fit.
Yes you could. I saw a guy with a GM truck put in Audi HIDs in his, but in order to get those Altima HIDs to work, you would have to do ALOT cutting and fitting. But don't put them in your stockers, you need either a reflector or projector housing to get it to look right.
I mean you CAN put them in your stockers, but it won't look like the Altimas for obvious reasons

2k1slvrdo said:
the most expensive part of HIDs are the power source. I'm sure u prbly could find a drop in set of HID bulbs.
The whole thing is expensive. You have the ballasts which are the power source you guys are talking about, and the bulbs, and of course wiring and such.
Just bulbs can run you at least a couple hundred, and so can ballasts.
You can either buy the Xenarcs, or try some aftermarket reflector or projector housings and buy an HID kit that fits the headlamp (9006 or 9005)
I've read about many guys going the cheapo route (aftermarket housings) and being unsatisfied with the light output.

Dark Eternal said:
The power source would plug right in but to take advantage of the HIDs you need a new housing if im not mistaking. You could thought just put in some HID bulbs into yours now for still decent results.
The power source will plug in if the male and female "pigtail" connectors are the same. I doubt they are, so my guess would be they aren't plug and play. You would have to cut wires and splice them together to get power.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you have a NBS silvy, Xenarc is the way to go unless another company comes out with a DOT approved HID kit.
The Xenarc is the complete headlamp housing, and HID lighting kit....the only true and legal kit for the silvys.
For us Sierra guys, our best bet is the Denali projectors and an HID kit complete with ballasts, bulbs and all the wiring. It still isn't DOT approved and/or legal, but it is the closest you can get.
I know all you guys want that cool looking BMW look, but you won't get it. Every vehicle is different.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Sorry I should have been more specific, splicing is plugging right in for me!(Electrical Enginer, what can I say..) I ment you wont have to run new wires.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
Sorry I should have been more specific, splicing is plugging right in for me!(Electrical Enginer, what can I say..) I ment you wont have to run new wires.
A 19 year old electrical engineer?
Wow... :cheers:
what do you do?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k1Sierra

I've read about many guys going the cheapo route (aftermarket housings) and being unsatisfied with the light output.
I had the car wear crystal eyes but they were shit. The reflector inside melted and drooped so i had one of my light shining the light on the ground and the other up higher. So i pulled them out and hacked away the projector side. I bought the 90 mm projectors from Hella that use H9 bulbs and retrofitted them in. Them i got a Hella D2S HID kit with the Osram 4300K bulbs. This kit was part of a HID Micro XL driving light kit from Hella. So I pulled out the H9's and dremelled the rear plate of the projector in order to fit the D2S bulbs. I also madea bracket to hot the bulbs in place once i fit them in correctly. The projectors themselves are sealed to no moisture gets in. For the ballasts i havn't mounted them that securly yet, just zipped tied them good (haha). For the power the kit came with its own power cable and a relay which is hooked up to trigger when i turn the light switch. I adjusted here and there until i got the cutoffs good.

Pics:
www.engr.ucsb.edu/~archiep/cutoff.jpg

www.engr.ucsb.edu/~archiep/light.jpg

www.engr.ucsb.edu/~archiep/plug.jpg

www.engr.ucsb.edu/~archiep/ballast.jpg

www.engr.ucsb.edu/~archiep/90mm-00.jpg

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
if you get some HIDs from a car/truck that uses the same type of light, you wont have to cut , just wire them in. Some cars use H-4s or 9005 or 9006 type of bulbs and they are drop in bulbs

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
From what I hear, if you use the stock headlamps it will just look like those fake HID bulbs.. there will be lots of nice white light IN the headlamp but not on the street..

... my suggestion is that if your paying anywhere near $400 (which your probably not) for EVERYTHING I would just get Sylvania Xenarcs from www.suvlights.com for $425. I have them and I would give up my Bazo's before my HID's :naughty:

·
Banned
164 Posts
02Silverado said:
I have a set of HIDs for sale that will plug right in, email me if your interested.
For what? A silvy or sierra? What brand?
What exactly are you selling? Bulbs and ballasts? Projector or reflector headlamps?

·
Banned
164 Posts
yoskater said:
From what I hear, if you use the stock headlamps it will just look like those fake HID bulbs.. there will be lots of nice white light IN the headlamp but not on the street..
Correct. The stock headlamps are not designed for the light output of HIDs.
I bet the reason non DOT approved HID kits are illegal in Cali now because all those fucking ricers ruined it by putting HID kits in their stock ricerocket housings, and the light goes everywhere giving off bad glare to oncoming traffic. I remember there being many stories on the news about the AAA receiving complaints, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts