GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to get some lights for my truck. Some people say hids are better and some say leds are. So which ones are brighter, More reliable,.. etc...?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Im also interested in this subject. Leds are fairly new I think for headlights. That being said hids are cheaper than Leds. But you have to mess around with the ballast and the relay harnesses if needed ect....Leds are almost all plug and play. Hids would give you various types of colors to choose from. Now on the output part. Not for sure on that. Im sure leds are more reliable.

·
METTALIKATT
4,922 Posts
Hids for headlight, in a projector housing. Leds aren't quite there yet as far as headlight retrofits go

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,697 Posts
http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98958

Read through the entire 1st post of this thread. I'm using LED from now on.
He is selling a product so he is going to spin it positive. Plus leds are not designed for the halogen headlight optics. None of his pictures show the beam pattern well. So the glare for on coming traffic could be horrible. Use bulbs that are designed for the housing they are going in.

·
METTALIKATT
4,922 Posts
He is selling a product so he is going to spin it positive. Plus leds are not designed for the halogen headlight optics. None of his pictures show the beam pattern well. So the glare for on coming traffic could be horrible. Use bulbs that are designed for the housing they are going in.
This, avoid leds

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
Buddy had HID's.. they were annoying as hell.. not a natural color at all, but probably because he got like 8000k or something.. when he switched from brights back to lows they seemed like they had to "warm-up" because you would be in total darkness for a couple seconds and then they would gradually brighten..
another jackass white trash POS whose parents live in my neighborhood i think he has HIDs (they might be those sylvania whatevers) in lows and fogs and always drives with both on.. they're bright as hell and make you go fricken blind...

i have no experience but, do not go with sylvania shit and if people say led's arent there yet then they arent there yet

sorry for the long post.. sylvania pisses me off

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had hids in my old projector lights but they broke in a wreck. That being said I had to get a replacement ballast for one 30 days after I got the hids. I just keep hearing people say to go led but I haven't really hurd allot about them yet. I guess I could go leds and if I dnt like em put them in my high beams and use my old hid kit

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,697 Posts
Your projectors are probably designed for halogen lights any ways if you did not do a retrofit.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,697 Posts
They came with halogen bulbs in it but came with a hid retrofit kit
They did not come with a retrofit. If they had halogen bulbs they are designed for halogen. Hid projector's optics are different than a halogen projector. You simply cannot just put hid bulbs in a halogen projector and expect it to preform the same. In fact unless you opened your head light up or bought some that someone has done already you have cheap projectors. retrofit is not putting hid bulbs and ballasts in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They did not come with a retrofit. If they had halogen bulbs they are designed for halogen. Hid projector's optics are different than a halogen projector. You simply cannot just put hid bulbs in a halogen projector and expect it to preform the same. In fact unless you opened your head light up or bought some that someone has done already you have cheap projectors. retrofit is not putting hid bulbs and ballasts in.
Sorry been up all night meant they came with the hid kit. They were spyder projector headlights. I wanna do a actual retrofit kit but idk how to so the spyder projectors worked for me

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Those LED's on the first page look like glare filled garbage.

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
HID's for anywhere you want usable light (headlights, fog lights etc.) use LED's for anything else

·
Registered
449 Posts
I haven't personally used those LEDs, but after hassling with so many sets of HIDs, they seemed like a better option. Guess I'll give it some time to try them out. On the other hand, I'd rather run the shittiest halogens from autozone than a cheap set of HIDs. I'm currently just running normal halogens until I want to spend the money on HIDs from The Retrofit Source.

·
Registered
233 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts